Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noobee questions

Options
BigGreenDave
BigGreenDave Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi.

I asked a couple questions in the other forum but I think it was the wrong one. Anyway. Can you tell me if I need to do anything special to cook lasanya in the big green egg? Do I smoke it or cook it like regular with foil on it?

What temperature do I need to cook it until? Little Steve said I should cook it a normnal oven temperatures so I will do that but how hot should it be in the middle when it is done? I will use the place settler too. It's my mom's birthday cook!

I was using the thermometer from my dealer as a meat thermometer I didn't now it was for the grill :ermm: .

I put it in the hole tonight when I lit the grill, but the metal thing on it makes it stick out far is that right? Do I leave it in the hole time?

My first cook was some excellant steaks, but we used the place setter. Little Steve set me straight on that too. Looking forward to some great cooks and learning things.

This weekend is my first cook on the egg with friends for the Browns game if they are in the playoffs. Going to try the 1-2-3 ribs method. I used to follow them as a kid but we don't have cable right now.If the Browns are not in it than go Steelers! Will be watching on a wide screen in the wreck hall.

Dave M.
Dave Montgomery at Wheeling West Virgina

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Dave
    When cooking on the Egg a dish the recipe give instructions for temp/time in the oven, follow them (ie: 400 degrees for 45 minutes)

As for the thermometer - if the "metal thing" is a clip, it goes on the inside after you've inserted the probe end through the dome. It holds it in place.

kent
    Kent Madison MS
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    All right that's what I'm talking about! thank you.

It's my mother's recipe, so I will ask her about time and tmperature to cook it at. She loves lasanya and got me the grill. Thanks
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Start your lump coals, put the plate setter in with the legs up, put the grate on top of the legs. Let the Egg get to temp and stabilize for 30 minutes before you put the dish in.
    Kent Madison MS
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well the browns are not in the playoffs neither are the steelers.

but since you are a steelers fan i will help you..

1st you can steal this phoho for a screensaver
    Sixburgh1.jpg

2nd use your platesetter as a heat deflector the egg is basically an oven aty that point. there are two or three diffrent ways to do this. put your platesetter in legs up followed by your grate. then your lasagna.. at 350 for an hour or so..

3rd here is some valuable info on your thermometer. i leave mine in and the metal clip off so i can pull it out anytime and recalibrate ;)http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibratehope this helps you out :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BigGreenDave
    Options
    Excellant advise, thank you.

We are out of pizza sauce so it looks like a trip to the store for some sauce to make the lasanya!

I will heat up the grill before I go so it will be ready when I am back.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    tb? Terry Bente or Bradshaw. Great pic.

Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Set it up like the others have said, but you don't cover it with foil unless the cheese on top starts to brown too much.

I use the retaining clip for the thermometer outside of the egg to keep the stem from sticking in too far - that way it never pokes any meat or dutch ovens I have cooking inside.

Good luck with the ribs...but if you're looking for the Browns or Steelers you might have to wait until next season.

Hope your Mom enjoys her birthday dinner.

Lots of information around here, and a lot of folks that really know how to cook. Welcome.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I wonder if Terry had burned his "Stairway to Seven" shirt yet :silly:
  • BENTE
    Options
    well i just got a "lambert" jersey as a late birthday/christmas present from my egger buddy in murphysborough tn. he and i lived 4 houses apart when we were in elementery school (at least the first 9 years of it :laugh: ) when i lived in ohio...

so i would have to say bradshaw :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    just means i get to wear my "Six-burgh" shirt till next year ;)

we are crying on our 6 lombardies.. compared to your one in kc :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Terry,

Never forget seeng Lambert on the superbowl introductions with his linemates on the curtain. Each guy steps up and says there name and where he's from. Jack steps up and says Jack Lambert, Buzzard Breath Arkansas" all the other guys start laughing and he turns around like he is going to bite somebody's jugular vein and says "that's where I'm from"

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Was that called for? :blush::blush: Lamar allowed Pitt in the league.
    Cower to Buffalo? Ouch.

Mike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    He can't bite. He has no teeth. But dayum, he's a mean lookin' sumbtch, ain't he?

jack-lambert.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    BigGreenDave,

Pizza sauce? :sick: Oh boy we've got some work to do with you grasshopper. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    Options
    too funny :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Options
    Michael,

Forgot about that. He was mean!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Weis, OC next year.

Mike
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    Ok this thing is driving me crazy I left it to get rip roaring hot so that I would have a good fire and when I got back from walmart it was at 800 degrees with flames shooting out the top almost hitting the car port ceiling!!!

I put the metal thing on and shut the bottm vent and put the place tester in with the lasanya after i poured the sauce on top with the cheese and then the temperature went down to 500 and its staying there.

It is cooling down and I think I am good to go. I have foil on it and can take that off at the end like Fiddle recomended.

Whew. The first time i used it was a snap but this looks like I will need to read the manual after all!

I will have a great birthday dinner for my Mom. She is going to be so jealous because she is going with her friends to Quaker Steak and Loob as always on her birthday.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dave,

The rib method is 3-1-1 typically. Sometimes 3-2-1 for spares.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigGreenDave
    Options
    I had it backwards thank you! You are answering all of my questions Little Steven

What do the numbers mean in the name anyway?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dave,

3 hours at 250 indirect, 1-2 hours wrapped in foil with some apple juice, cider, beer or sauce and 1 hour back on the grill with sauce or not.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    You will find it better to start your fire and when you get around 50 degrees of your target temp start shutting down your vents to stabilize, then let it burn 30 minutes to a hour to let your fire burn clean. Once you have it stable you can add your food and the egg will come back to temp pretty quick. After a little time of cooking you will become familar with the vent settings for what temp you are wanting.
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    Awesome!
    Thank
    Dave M.
  • Fidel
    Options
    we had ours first.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Yea, but the teeth were knocked out playing basketball....he wasn't so tough.

Now E.J. Holub -- he was a tough SOB. Willie Lanier.....Buck Buchanan....Bobby Bell.....*sigh* the good ole days.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    My teeth were knocked out playing paddle ball. That doesn't make me a wimp..I don't think :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Paddle ball not curling?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Had no idea. Just assumed that was from football. As for tough? I expect he could hold his own.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigGreenDave
    Options
    Awesome. Is there a manual for this thing? I have the CD thing that came with it but I can't run it on my mom's computer. :ermm: It's a dvd right? Doesn't work on the computer.

I will try the dvd player. Looks like I have some home work tonight to watch.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    JPF,

To knock your teeth out in curling you would have to be face-planted on the ice. That could never happen to me :whistle:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON