Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Dealer Going to Quit

Happy Hog
Happy Hog Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGE Dealer Going to Quit

Dropped in on my BGE dealer yesterday just to see if a new customer referral I had made before Christmas bought a new BGE for her Husbands Christmas gift and also to exchange some holiday greetings

Yes my advice for a new egg and been followed and her husband is now a proud new egg owner.

:ohmy: To my dismay my dealer told me after they deplete current stock of eggs they will not be selling them anymore.

What terrible news! :angry:

I have bought 3 different size eggs from them and they have always been really great to deal with and treated me like I was a welcome guest.

Reason for quitting is because they have to make a minimum order of 12 eggs from their vendor and it ties up too much money for too long when they could be using that money on wood and coal stoves and which they sell allot of.

Also they have heard that Sears is now selling BGE and they would not be able to compete with them.

Why would a distributor require such a large order for the dealer to get the best price when selling more eggs to more people would be good for all involved?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Volume discounts are a result of lower costs to the distributor. Same principal behind why Costco and Sams can sell stuff at lower prices on a per unit basis, but you have to buy more widgets to get the discount.
  • If Sears is going to sell them then a lot of vendors will stop selling them and customer service will go down
  • Sears is not carrying BGE! Period! Mark my word!
  • SERIOUSLY?? Sears? BGE is going to let Sears sell them? Bad mistake on BGE's part. There's a certain "exclusivity" in allowing only smaller specialty outfits to sell their product. Now, to imagine a BGE sitting next to a Craftsman display is a horrible thought.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just went to Sears website and put in Big Green Egg to see what pops up.
    This came up:
    Big Green Egg Cookbook
    Hardcover / 2010
    by Big Green Egg
    $50.00$32.50
    Will be available in February 2010
    I just paid full price to the MOTHER SHIP for this book and Sears is selling at a big discount??????????
    Is EGGS next??????
    I paid over $65 as the shipping I was charged was very high for one book.... This while supporting BGE.... :( :angry: :pinch:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I'll be so pissed if Eggs are next! My family just paid full price for my medium egg!
  • Mickey
    No different than seeing in Sam's Club... That worked out well :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• They sold them at Sam's Club? Holy smokes! Being a new egger, I don't know much of the history. So they used to sell them there and now they do not? Were they marked down a lot at Sam's?
  • Let's not get carried away here. The BGE cookbook is also available for pre-order on Amazon. But a cookbook doesn't exactly require the same warranty support as a BGE. I see no problem with them trying to widen their market base by selling the cookbook outside their dealer network. If anything, it might bring more people to dealers to get the cooker itself. And it DOESN'T automatically mean the BGEs will be sold at Sears.
  • Mickey
    They were cheaper at Sam's Club than Egg Fests Demos.
    ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE..............
    This was in Texas area and not sure of other states.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ben,

I wouldn't even be sure that BGE owns the rights to the book. I would think it might be the publishing house.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I suspect that as well. My point is that it doesn't mean BGEs will be available at Sears.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    That is what I meant too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The publishing house will likely be in charge of promotions and distribution. I used to work for a publishing house. The margins for publishers are really small, so they have to get as wide a distribution as possible. I have seen the cookbook advertised on Amazon. It will likely be in a lot of bookstores too. The dealers who carry the cookbook will just be another distribution channel as far as the publisher is concerned.

Discounts by the publisher were always a huge problem for us when I worked in a retail bookstore. Publishers would sell to big box stores and have their own sales. Often I could not buy from the publisher for the same price they were selling direct to my customers or the price at a big box. Huge problem if I had to sell for less than what I bought. The only thing I could rely upon was my customer service and building support in the community. My loyal customers remained my loyal customers because I was willing to get them the best deal possible along with good customer service. That is what the dealers will probably have to do if BGEs, eggsessories, and the cookbook go into distribution at big retailers and discounters.

Anyway, our business survived by doing what we did better than just about anyone else. BGE dealers will need to do the same.
  • So what if the Eggs ARE eventually sold at Sears? If Sears undercuts the local dealer's price, perhaps the dealers will focus more on customer service, delivery, accessories, etc. I found a wide range in price & service between my local dealers. I ultimately chose the one that offered the best price (several hundred less than other dealers) and stellar service. If I lived in an area with a single dealer, I know I would have paid way too much--

I didn't buy an Egg because it was "exclusive"....I bought an Egg because it is an excellent tool. Who cares where the things are sold? Give me a break.
  • If you have followed things this shouldn't be of surprise to anyone. Over the last year and a half look at all the eggfests that have popped up. Here in Iowa it used to be specialty stores and a True Value selling eggs, now every Ace Hardware sells them. The eggs are showing up in more outlets which means there will be more price competition.
  • Surely there is at least one BGE employee here that can confirm or deny the Sears rumor? Fred?? You know anything about this??
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    You know once I saw Craftsman tools in K-Mart I gave up on Sears.
    Emil
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    I wouldn't think that the Eggs will be sold at sears, but I did pre order the cookbook from Sears for $32.50 with free shipping.
  • Mickey
    Woody half price is good :huh: :ermm:
    Boy I feel dumb :pinch:

• Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    I think K-Mart bought out Sears or vice versa???
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    aren't you aware that K-Mart bought Sears? So what's the problem that the parent company is selling Craftsman products?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Q-Man
    Q-Man Posts: 4
    Well, I just looked on Sear's website, and the cook book is there but nothing else for BGG. I also looked on Amazon.com and found a number of BGG egg-essories -- large place setter, cast iron grills, Egg Mates, etc. Seemed to have a limited supply e.g. no Nests ot Tables. Strange, the cookbook was not there. BUT NO EGGs! There are lesser competitors, like Bayou Classic, but again NO EGGS. :whistle:
  • RRP
    Kmart bought Sears and then kept the stronger name. The stock which I happen to own is called Sears Holding and trades as SHLD - today it's $89 a share.
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought that was what I had heard. Started second guessing myself though when I was responding to post. Hope your stock continues to grow.

Happy New Year!!!
  • Here you go, Celeste, have a KitKat bar.
    Who said anything about Eggs and exclusivity?
  • RRP
    Thanks - not bragging but my cost basis is less than $27 so with it trading at $89 I'm a happy camper!
  • Fidel
    Some folks need to take their tinfoil hats off for a little bit.
  • Fidel
    I'll let you all in on another little "secret"

Sears doesn't make/manufacture Craftman tools or Kenmore appliances. It is all just rebranded stuff from a boat load of major manufacturers. And a lot of times marked up to have the Sears brand name on it.

Who really cares if it is purchased at Sears, K-Mart, or out of the trunk of a car on a dimly lit street corner?
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Yes I am aware and the service recieved is well below what was once Sears.