Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

halibut

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what is an easy and quick preparation to grilling halibut, and how long and at what temp?[p]thanks!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    jim,
    Halibut is an awesome fish, but does not do well if overcooked. I like a good hot established fire...like 500-600. For inch filets, about 5 minutes a side until a nice brown crust and a moist inside. Just til it wants to start flaking. Works best with one flip only.
    Have fun!!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    jim,
    Halibut has little oils compared to salmon so you will not want to overcook or cook lo n slo. I prefer either fried or blackened. Blackened is the family favorite...[p]Cook on an outdoor gas stove or coleman camp stove. Heat a cast iron skillet on high for about 5 minutes. Get it really really really red hot. While heating the skillet, melt some butter and prepare the filets.[p]To prepare the filets, make sure first of all there are no bones. Bones suck! I like my filets about 3/4 inch, so this means double filleting (is this a word?). Pat the filets dry with a paper towel. Now cut the filets in pieces about the size of your spatula head.[p]Now that the skillet is very hot, dredge the filet in the melted butter and then sprinkle the seasoning on the filet. The seasoning is your choice... some like it hot - I do not. Ragin River dizzy pig works well for a first timer. After the filet has been dredged both sides in the butter and the seasoning applied, toss into the skillet. It will smoke a lot! Watch the filets and they will begin to turn white as it cooks. When the filet is cooked a little past half way from the bottom, it is time to flip (usually about 3 minutes). Now cook the rest of the way (about 2 minutes) until the filet becomes flaky but still moist. Remember, the filet will continue to cook even after you remove it from the skillet and Halibut sucks if you over cook it.[p]Serve hot with Applesauce or fruit salad, yellow rice and ceasar salad. A slice of tomatoe, wedge of yellow bell pepper & a sprig of parsley makes for a nice presentation.[p]Please let us know how you prepare your halibut.[p]Enjoy, Banker John[p]

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Yo Nature Boy,[p]I brought some nice sheephead filets (doesn't sound good though) with me from the Gulf Coast. Have you ever egged sheephead before?[p]Any ideas other than the above?[p]See ya in Waldorf![p]Ed[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    banker john,[p]Sound great![p]Would this work for sheephead filets too?[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    I caught a sheepshead when I was a kid....from a bridge over the Intercostal Wateray. I remember the meat being much like halibut. I would definitely do a hot/fast on it.
    See you soon dude.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    GrillMeister, sheepshead is great and would be good blackened, grilled or baked in foil.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks. I'll give it a try.[p]Cheers,

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Borders,[p]Thanks. I'll try the blackend first![p]They sure are fun to catch too.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Sheeps Head? No offense, but they may be fun to catch but they are also difficult to clean and the percentage of meat without bones compared to the entire fish is relatively small. I, therefore, usually toss them back.[p]I can understand if you went fishing with a guide. Some guides are famous for making sure their clients "catch fish". THis means sheeps head.[p]I mean no offense by the above statements. I love fishing and love even more just catching fish. Sheeps head are tremendous fun to catch. I just prefer other species for great table quality.[p]Since you have the sheeps head filets, I say cook them. let us know how they turn out![p]Banker John