Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

NY Strip Roast....help

greennewbgreennewb Posts: 62
edited 1:36AM in EggHead Forum
I'm a relatively new egg owner. I have wanted to get a choice rib eye roast, but I saw in my local grocery store a NY Strip roast. It was only about $28.00. It is not Prime, it is not Choice. But it might be good practice before I spend a fortune on beef. Any suggestions as to what temp and how long to cook?
Thanks for any and all responses.

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    What grade do you have?

Mike
  • Well, I'm assuming it's just below choice. What is that, standard? I don't expect it to be the best piece of meat in the world, but we live in a fairly rural area. I can drive an hour to get choice, or I can order it with 4 days notice from my local meat cutter. I just happened to notice this piece of meat when I was at the store and thought it might be good practice.
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Select. It should say some where on the package.

Mike
  • Okay, so I have a little over half of it on the grill. The potatoes look overkill but they are very small.
    I'm cooking somewhere around 210 F. How long should I expect it to take, and at what temp should I pull the meat? I have a thermapen. I'm thinking about pulling it, letting it rest, ramping up the temp on the egg. Cutting into thick steaks and searing them quickly. Does that sound like a good idea?
    http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx44/MarknTonya/1fe1a34d.jpg
  • Okay, maybe this will work for the picture:

1fe1a34d.jpg
  • Cooked it for about 3 1/2 hours at around 210. Checked it and it was around 145 in the middle. So I pulled it, rested it for about 45 min, then cut into thick steaks, then seared for a couple of minutes on each side. They were actually pretty good!
  • Almost forgot to take a pic before I ate it all.
    9f15f8ff.jpg