Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Fish Help please

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the Egg all set and ready to smoke some grouper for a fish spread. What do I smoke it with? I have a cedar plank, do I use that, or do I put some wood down on the lump and smoke it that way? Ideas please.

Happy New Year,

Uncle Phil

Comments

• thewindwardegg
    Options
    When I have smoked salmon before I used apple chips that were soaked and put the salmon on a cedar plank as well. I dont think you will get enough smoke out just putting it on a cedar plank.

smoked my salmon at say 200-225 until done, took a couple of hours if I remember correctly
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    I agree. Just wanted to confirm my thoughts,
    Thanks,

Uncle Phil
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    Alder works well with fish. Grouper is too good of a fish to smoke. You want something more oily than grouper for fish spread. Try mullet, sword, king and mackerel for spread. Grill that grouper with a nice lemon butter and enjoy it.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I agree with Knauf, Grouper is way to good a fish to smoke, let alone make it into a spread. I think doing that is even against the law where I live :evil: Mullet and/or salmon/even mackeral are better suited for spreads. Then there's the expense; salmon will be around $6.00/lb at Publix, mullet is free if you own a cast net or a snoopy pole and some doughballs, grouper is around $9.00/ lb at the dock, $17.00 at Publix, and $100.00 if I catch it myself [boat,fuel ,beer,sunscreen,etc. :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    Well, I had this grouper in the freezer and the guy whose home we are going to this evening asked if I would smoke it on the Egg and make a fish spread. I did. I have to tell you it is awesome. We cooked the grouper at 200 degrees for about 2 and a half hours. I had the pieces on a cedar plank and also used Alder, Apple and Cherry wood over the lump. Wow, what flavor. Very mild and the smoke flavor is just right.
    so, even though I agree grouper is too good of fish for a spread, in this case, it was worth the experiment.

Thanks to all for your input. Have a happy new year!

Uncle Phil