Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Ceasar Salad-Baltimore Md.

Options
Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I flew into Baltimore,MD., and had dinner in Little Italy. The owner of the restaurant had a featured salad re; Gilled Ceasars Salad"; I said you mean a Ceasars salad with chicken; shrimp; etc;? No, it was romaine salad, olive oil, slight smoke; ceasar dressing; and topped with parmasean cheese.
It was delicious; the lettuce wasn't wilted; it was fresh and crisp.
I visited in the kitchen, and it was prepared exactly as he said.
Has anyone ever had this before? How could I adapt this to the BGE?
Hammer

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Hammer,
    it is possible, set up your egg to its lowest point of heat, about 160°. Freeze yourself a pizza pan of water.
    Add smoking chips, wrap pan of ice with foil and place salad on top of pan. Cold smoke for about 7 minutes making sure your salad does not get warm.Serve. That is exactly why I need a small egg to add to the big egg to do some serious cold smoking.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    cabbages.jpg
    <p />Hammer,
    If all he did was grill romaine lettuce and then assemble the salad, that is pretty simple. Alton Brown has it in his first book and I have a recipe on my recipes page that is based on what AB has in his book. [p]If he assembled the salad and then smoked/grilled, then Chef Wil probably has the answer.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Grilled Romaine and Savoy Cabbage[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Chef Wil
    Options
    Hammer,
    after researching your topic I can maybe offer this suggestion. The salad may have had an olive oil that was infused with hickory dust. Used mostly in making sausages and used in injections for added smoke flavor without a trace of color like liquid smoke has. But like I said, it could be recreated on the BGE like I earlier posted.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Hammer,[p]You have piqued my interest. If you try this, please post what you do and how it works out.[p]Ken
  • Chef Wil,
    not sure I understand why you need small...do you mean you can cook low cold smoke dishes better on small or do you mean you plan to connect small to large with dryer vent hose as I have seen posted here???

• Chef Wil
    Options
    Chet,
    yes, i'd connect the 2 like the picture posted.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I'm going to try it soon. Once I do, I'll keep you informed of how it was. The one I had in Baltimore was great.
    Hammer