Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon Rub...less heat??

Options
BostonEggSox
BostonEggSox Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to sear 10 Filets for the New Year. 8 will be rubbed with DP Cow Lick. Does anyone have a suggestion for a rub with little or no pepper/heat. I have to do 2 like this.

Thanks for the help and Happy New Year to all!

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Personally, I would marinate them in soy, garlic and olive oil prior to cooking then throw them on some serious heat. Since they are so low in fat, they should be cooked at high temperatures which will probably destroy most of the seasonings anyhow. That said, there is no wrong answer or technique.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Plain old Montreal Steak Seasoning from the grocery store has no heat and has all the basic flavors like salt pepper garlic. It was my favorite before DP came out with Raisin' The Steaks.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    smash fresh garlic clove & rub both sides of steak
    sprinkle with kosher salt
    coat both sides with coarse cracked black pepper
    splash of evoo in HOT stainless skillet
    sear both sides of steak
    put pan/steak in preheated 400* oven till desired doneness
    remove steak to plate
    melt a tbsp butter into skillet,
    add few chopped shallots and a tbsp crushed green peppercorns
    deglaze with couple oz cognac or bourbon
    add a half cup heavy cream - reduce by half
    spoon green peppercorn/cognac cream sauce over steak
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I found a recipe for the Montreal seasoning a while back. Not sure if it's exactly the same, but it's pretty good.

2 teaspoons california garlic powder (probably any garlic powder, not garlic salt, will do)
    4 teaspoons coarsely ground coriander seeds
    2 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
    4 teaspoons dill weed
    4 teaspoons paprika
    4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper)
    4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper (coarse)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    bacon wrap, a little salt pepper, plated on a puddle of bernaise sauce. i cheat and use the knorr packaged stuff. i never thought of cowlick as a hot pepper rub but have gone back to searing with salt and adding pepper just before the roasting stage in a trex style cook. just before the roasting stage a light splash of balsamic is good too.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BostonEggSox
    Options
    Thanks all! Happy New Year.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Mike,

Here's how I did some a couple weeks ago.

Good luck and have a Happy New Years,

Gator