Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Years Eve Menu Idea Help

Options
Eggscriber
Eggscriber Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
You all have helped me before.
I am having 20 people over for New Year's Eve.
I just had many over for some pulled pork.
I am looking for some good entree ideas other than pork.
It's gonna be cold and possibly rainy, so I want something I can put on and can roast like pork loins or a pork roulade or something like that. Any suggestions??
Thanks!!

Comments

• Smoking Coles
    Options
    You could do a rib roast as so many have done over the past week or so. They are very easy and make a great impression. If you do a rib roast though, make sure you have an probe type thermometer to monitor the internal temperature to make sure you don't over/under cook. Make a nice horseradish sauce to go with it! Steve from TN had a post last night of a bone in pork loin I believe that had an incredible presentation and looked fantastic. Check that out. A big Mad Max Turkey would be great also if you haven't already been burned out on Turkey this holiday season. Good Luck.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    It feels to me like it should be a beef kinda thing. What about brisket? Beans, greens and taters on the side.

We'll be camping (with the eggs) on New Years eve, and to keep it simple we'll cook a brisket overnight for lunch sammiches friday, then use the leftovers to make a big ol' pot of chili for dinner. Beef just seems right.

Happy New Year!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Definetely a roast, I would go with something "quick" like prime rib roast... you can serve along with yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, refried beans and salsa verde and make tacos out of it as finger food...

cheers!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Pennsylvania? I guess Tex-Mex is not in the cards. :laugh:

If you ever want the best beef enchilada recipe you've ever had, let me know. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• PWise
    Options
    Hey Gary, I'm in Monterrey.... I still don't know (haven't put much thought into it really) what I'll be cooking... now... you were saying about some beef enchiladas?? hehehe

cheers!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Pato,

I don't know if you were kidding about the recipe, but I'm posting it here. I've never tried it on the Egg, but it might be really good cooked indirect.

Here's the recipe. I've had some real great compliments of it. Being in Monterrey, I'm sure you have Tortillarias, and can get fresh corn tortillas. I don't put mine in oil since the tortillas are so fresh they're very plyable. In Tex-Mex, you know we use yellow cheese, but I'm sure you'd want white cheese.

Beef and Scallion Enchiladas

½ lb. Beef, extra lean ground
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    1 ½ teaspoons Cumin, ground
    1 teaspoon Oregano, crumbled
    ½ teaspoon Salt
    ⅛ teaspoon Pepper , freshly ground
    ½ cup Tomatoes, Italian style, drained and chopped
    ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped, fresh
    8 Scallions, thin sliced
    2 tablespoons Oil, Vegetable, + more for brushing
    2 tablespoons Chili powder
    3 tablespoons Flour, all purpose
    ⅛ teaspoon Cinnamon
    2 ½ cups Chicken stock
    ⅓ cup Tomato Sauce, canned
    12 Tortillas, corn
    ¾ cup Cheese, shredded

Fry beef and drain. Add half of the garlic, 1 tsp of cumin, the oregano, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Cook until the flavors have blended. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro and 3/4 of the scallions.

In medium skillet, heat oil. Add the chili powder and remaining garlic and saute for one minute. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 tsp cuminand the flour, cinnamon, chicken stock and tomato sauce. Cook, stirring constantly until the sauce is boiling. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until slightly thicker (5 to 8 minutes). Remove 1/4 C of the sauce and stir it into the beef.

Preheat oven to 425. Lightly coat 9x13" baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Lightly brush both sides of a tortilla with a little vegetable oil and cook tortillas until pliable. Assemble enchilada with 2 tbsp of beef. Repeat for all enchiladas and pour sauce over them in the baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top and cook until hot and bubbly, about 12 minutes. Garnish with remaining onions.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• LoveHandles
    Options
    Big ole shrimp could work. Get them ready inside the house on skewers and cook them quick outside when you're ready. Most everybody likes shrimp
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
  • PWise
    Options
    nooo, no joke! I really was curious... thanks a lot for the recipe!!
    cheers!
  • Eggscriber
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
    I like the idea of the standing rib roast.
    I will have to give it a shot!
    Now how do I cook it??
    I will have to check out the recipe section.
    I really like the frogmore recipe and was glad to see that frog is not an ingredient since they are out of season here in Pennsylvania!