Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to use for indirect on a Small BGE?

Options
troutman
troutman Posts: 498
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new small is on its way to join its older and larger sibling. I plan to add the raised grid thingamajig from ceramicgrillstore.com soon.

What do small owners use for their indirect cooking, other than a platesetter? I've got a platesetter for my large that is rarely used and in my way, so I don't plan to add another.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    Indirect does not have to mean ceramic - I just use a small 8 x 8 metal pan that wifey said I could have for my toy box!
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Scott,

I asked the same question when I got my small. I ended up going with a platesetter since it was half the cost, but others recommended something called the GrateMates. There's a link to it on the Naked Whiz's site, here ... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm

With the Woo2 from the Ceramic Grill Store, which it sounds like you're getting, you can use a pizza stone for indirect.

Hope this helps,

-John
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Contact member Chubby and pick up some GrateMates. As soon as I make up my mind if I am going to keep my small that will be a must buy for me.

You can find the details on the Naked Whiz site.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have both a platesetter and gratemates. They both have their uses.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I did the same thing Fearless did. The new plate setter for the small was only $25. I am using it today for some pit beef. :)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I did this while waiting on a platesetter that I ordered

Cut some rebar and placed it on the firebox
    101_2662640x480.jpg

Layed two fire bricks on the rebar
    101_2663640x480.jpg

Fire ring and grid on top of the bricks
    101_2665640x480.jpg

It was a temporary set up that I think I used once - I suggest you wrap the fire bricks if you decide to use fire bricks.
  • troutman
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, all. Now I must decide.

The gratemates web site does not exist. Does anyone know if the grate mates can still be ordered?
  • troutman
    Options
    I am speaking my mind, too. Stay off of my thread unless you have the guts to post under your name. Notice that I did.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Check the tips section of my website below, and you can see a couple different ways of doing indirect on a small
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would think they still can be ordered.

Put up a new post and Ping member "Chuby".

GG
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Yes...my Site is down right now,but I am here just the same!

Although I don't jump up and down a bunch here...
    I do still provide "Unusually Savy Small Egg Owners" with GrateMates...(he says with tounge planted firmly in cheek)!!

At present...you're welcome to call me directly..(like in the old fashioned days)..and I'm glad to help in any way I can.

There is also,(as may have been mentioned) additional product information about GrateMates located on
    "The Naked Whiz's" Website under his Product Review section...
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm

You'll find contact information for me at the end of his Review, or if all else fails... email me thru this forum!!

BTW...Congrats on your impending Small!! In my book...the Lg/Sm Egg combo is the way to go!!

Happy to hear from you in any event!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • troutman
    Options
    Thanks Chubby. I'm probably unusual, not very savvy, and am only an "almost" small egg owner.

So, I may not qualify. But I may be in touch anyways after the Holidays.

I can't seem to find a ceramic piece small enough to work in the small, no pizza stone for sure. Any suggestions?
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Scott,

There are both of the items you asked about above readily available!!

Give me a ring at your conveinence and I'll point you in that direction!

Don't feel like you have to purchace anything just to call, as these items can be used with or without my devices.

As far as your "GrateMates" qualifications are concerned...if you're willing to admit to being "unusuall"...then you're in the right place...lol!!!

Have a great afternoon!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!