Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock or Beer Can Chicken?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never had either and am cooking chicken for the 1st time on the Egg tonight. Which one would you recommend for a beginner?[p]Any hints or tips? I have read Naked Whiz's info on Spatchcock chicken.

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Nate Dogg,
    I vote for spatchcocked. It it so easy and it turns out perfect everytime. Raised grill, 350 degrees about an hour...no flip. [p]We tried the can chicken, and found it to be dificult to get them to stand up. Then when you are done, you have a boiling hot can of liquid to try and fanagle out of the chicken butt. Not worth all the work to me. [p]~nikki

• nikkig, If it makes a diffearnce, I did buy this stand that you put the beer can in and then the chicken goes over that. It looks like it will work pretty slick.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Nate Dogg,[p]Our first cook was a beer-can chicken. Very good, but like nikkig, I prefer spatchcock chicken too. Direct on a raised grid at 350° for about an hour. Some of the most incredible chicken I've ever had. And, if you haven't gotten them yet, get some DizzyPig Tsunami Spin rub...you won't regret it![p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Get Spun![/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Nate Dogg,[p]I prefer butterflied over spatchkooky over beercan anyday.[p]My apologies to Mr Naked! :~)
    John

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    QBabe,
    I agree 100% about the Dizzy Pig rubs. They are wonderful. I like the Swamp Venom on the chicken the best (it adds a flavorful kick). Either way get all of them!!!

• www.tipsychicken.com[p]Check it our .........its a drunken chicken holder manufactured near where I live.......I own 3 of them and they work wonderfully
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nate Dogg,
    That will work great! You might be thinkin' too much. Cook one on your stand, then butterfly another tomorrow. In the process you will learn what you like best, and eat some real good chicken in the meantime![p]Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Nate Dogg,[p]Yep got one and used it last week........worked great.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Nate Dogg,[p]I had no idea what to tell you..so like I always do..when I is stuck..I called momma..and I done asked her. What she said made a whole lotta sense to me too..that women is plum amazin sometimes..specially for someone what only made it throo the third grade. She tol me that if'n you want a real easy cook..you autta cook one of them spatulacocked chickens overnight..and if'n you time it right..early in the mornin it'll flip itself over..so that it won't burn. Momma was so happy she could help me with this good advise..she just started laughin like you read about and plum hung up on me...which is prolly just as well..on accounta if'n she stayed on much longer..I prolly woulda started hearin that garglin outmeal sound she makes when she laughs too hard. One of these days I'm gonna make her laugh so hard that outmeal comes out once and for all..and have done with it..just gonna make sure I do it from a distance I suppose..[p]Ahh the life of a Stump..[p]StumpBaby
  • Thanks to all. I did the spatchcock and it was AWESOME!
  • Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    Nate Dogg,[p]Don't forget about the beer butt chicken. We like spatch for eating and beer butt for cooking. I do 4 chickens at a time the beer butt way, remove the meat, make a few pounds of chicken salad (excellent flavor) and freeze the balance for things like BBQ chicken pizza, homemade chicken pot pie, chicken fajitas, chicken and pototoe casserole.[p]Good, quick and easy fixin's for most any meal.[p]Randy[p]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Big-R,
    Beer butt chicken is my favorite way of cooking them. To remove I just use a heavy duty glove to handle the hot beer and pull the chicken off with tongs. Besides, nothing like opening the egg and see your chickens standing tall.[p]Regards,
    New Bob