Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp help please

Options
captaincraigb
captaincraigb Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a little bit of a time getting to TREX temps. I did it when I first got my egg(750+) but even after cleaning I'm have a hard time getting over 650. If I burp the lid it comes up a bit, like its starved for oxygen? any ideas? more fuel?

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    captaincraigb,
    more fuel or give it a boost using a fan on the bottom vent.

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Since you said you cleaned it, make sure that the "notch" in the bottom of the firebox aligns exactly with the opening of the bottom sliding vent. It is amazing how much draft can be blocked by having these two slightly off.[p]Next thing I'd do is check your gasket and alignment. The Egg should have a perfect chimney effect and draw more the hotter the fire, so you shouldn't need a fan (except for Guru control). If there is a leak in the system somewhere, it will draw from there and not from the bottom vent, thus less chimney effect.[p]One interesting way to check your gasket and alignment is to build a small fire, put on some chunks of wood for smoking, let it build a bit so there is a good smoke stream coming out, then close the top and bottom vent. Take a look at where and how much smoke comes out.[p]Good luck - it is definitely a "fixable" problem...[p]Bob V
  • Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first purchased my egg. I initially got the high temps, then all of a sudden it was a struggle. I finally realized I had the grate upside down. The holes in the grate are conical. The air flow is fine when the grate is clean and a new load of lump is placed in. But if the grate is upside down, the holes will plug with small peices of lump and ash as you cook thereby restricting air flow. If this is not the problem, I would add more lump.