Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie relight question

Options
NotabuttDave
NotabuttDave Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I fired up my new large yesterday with Kingsford lump. I used one BGE starter. With all vents fully opened, it hit 750 degrees in about 20 minutes. I only had the grate on the grill.

I closed the vents and let it cool down.

I topped off the lump to about 1" above the vent holes and called it a day.

Today, I put the place setter and pizza stone in and lit again. This time I cut one BGE starter in two and built 2 fires.

I couldn't get the heat past 400. After an hour and a half I gave up.

I opened the lower vent and found very little ash.

What did I do wrong?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Once the fire is out/cooled you should stir the old lump to knock the ash off the remaining lump and clear the holes in the bottom grate.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Also, although it is not proven, most recommend keeping the temps below 400 for the first several cook to break in the gasket.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • field hand
    Options
    Agree with the stiring of the old coals. I use a hand garden tool to stir the lumps and work the ashes through the grate into the bottom. I think this improves the air flow and helps lighting the next time.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    I did put some additional (one coffee can full) lump in 1/2 way through my test, and the temp did go up for about 30 minutes, then it began to drop agian.

I'll try stirring the remaining coal before I light again.

Thanks for the input. I'm anxious to start cookin
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Your on the right track... after you have stirred, started the fire, and the coals on top are red - "wiggle stick" the holes in the bottom grate through the lower vent hole. There are some great ideas here on the forum for building these tools, however you can learn with a straightened coat hanger with a 3" 90 degree bent end. As you wiggle the bent end in each hole of the fire grate you will see dust/ash fall though.
    enjoy your Egg
    Kent Madison MS
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

It all makes sense to me. I've done long cooks with my WSM and have found the temp. increases after I shake up the fire. Even the steam locomotives would shake up the fire box occasionally. As advanced as the BGE is, I didn't think it would be necessary.