Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Little Chef - another brine question

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm using the brine on the duck as we speak... wondered how long you think I should do salmon in same brine? thoughts?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Lynn, I will bring the wine. ;)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Girly Egg...What is it you want to accomplish with the salmon? Do you want gravlax? (lox?) I have always accomplished that with a dry cure. I feel the same brine as the duck will be too aggressive...there is no need for the TCM on cured salmon. Let me know please, and I will assist further. Thanks!
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Well.... I threw the salmon in the brine ... just for a few hours... drying in fridge now.... we'll see.. not sure what I was trying to accomplish...

The duck continues to cure... I'll be smoking tomorrow evening... I'll let you know how it goes...

btw... you should know that I rarely follow recipes as stated... this was no diff... I switched up the spices a little and went with ginger (including ginger infused honey, rather than garlic... I'll let ya know how it goes... Thanks again for all your help!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Absolutely NOTHING wrong with changing things up! :laugh: The ginger sounds great! ;) I will be curious to see what you do with the salmon! And especially how it turns out! And also remember, the duck will need at least two days in the brine....I think I did 6.....and they don't need a long soak out AT all....an hour tops with a water change should do it depending on the length of the cure. Please...I will be chomping at the bit to know how all this goes for you!! I wish you absolute and total success!! :laugh: You can always email me at littlechef@bubbatim.com. I see my email more regularly than forum posts. ;)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Wanted to chime in earlier…But didn’t, mostly because of time constraints on my side of life. Not to mention it was a "ping for LC".
    I have never brined salmon destined for the grill, mostly because I haven’t seen the need…Except for when smoking! And then, I do brine all the fish I smoke!
    What is it that you are after here…I am curious :ermm: ?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    M&M P - We are in agreement...for smoking fish, I brine as well, but not in a brine as strong as required to cure the duck. Just enough brine on the fish to create the pellicle afer drying...I will be very curious to see the results here! Great experiement here....
    Didn't know the result she was after either, but it looks like she is playing and having fun with food!! :laugh: Can't wait to see her results. ;) I am sure they will be a success! :)