Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokin Butts

Options
PapaB
PapaB Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If the weather cooperates Saturday, I'm hopin' to get a few butts smoked this weekend. Is there some guidance on probe temps and estimated times? I'm counting on the butts being around 8lbs, anb they'll be rubbed down the day before. From what I've seen a temp 225-250 is preferred, but I'm not sure on the time. Can you set it at night and let it go all night if it's stable for a few hours before hanging it up for the night?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    PapaB,

You should read Elder Wards method for butts in recipes. Eggs like 250* more than 225*. The lump should be stacked in the egg for a first time, big pieces in the bottom, medium over that and small and dust overtop. This is to allow good airflow for your fire. Light the lump in several places. Estabish the temp at 250* with the platesetter and drip pan in for an hour or so and make sure it is stable at 250*. Try not to overshoot the desired temp. Put the meat on and wait til it comes back to 250* for an hour or so and you are good to go overnight. Doesn`t hurt to get up once to check the temp.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Yes, you definitely want to read the Elder Ward write up.

As far as times, you can count on 1 1/2 hours per pound so an 8 pounder should run about 12 hours at 250f dome temp on the Egg. BUT I've seen it go 1 hour per pound and have had friends have it go 2 hours per pound.

I have done many over night cooks. I still keep getting up every 2 hours just out of habit from my days of using an offset smoker, but RARELY have to adjust anything.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    From Celtic Wolf's site.He's cooked TONS,literally,of pulled pork.
    http://www.celticspiritbbq.com/methods/pulledpork.html
  • toothpick
    Options
    Just another vote for Elder Ward's recipe. It amazed friends and family who had grown up eating the stuff here in NC. That's by NO means a vote against the Celtic Wolf's info. I'm just saying you came to the right place for help. Good luck!