Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pork Butt Mishap

Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
edited 3:16PM in EggHead Forum
One of my friends asked if I would put a Butt on my egg for him. I said yes of coarse never turn down a chance to fire up my egg and share a beer with a friend. Anyway I told him to trim excess fat rub liberally refrigate and bring to me this morning. Well he has completely trimmed off the fat cap :ohmy: will this have any effect and what should i do to compensate for its removal. Can't send him home a bad butt especially off my egg. Thanks in advance for the help. Tommy

Comments

• FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,671
    just cook it as normal and you will have more bark.
  • Hsbldr1,

I have been buying my butts from a butcher that cleans off all the exterior fat. I haven't noticed a big difference.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    Thanks thats a relief i was worried it might loose to much moisture with that fat barrier gone. Headed out to put it on now! Thanks again.
  • Just like you...more bark than bite.

I crack me up.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I usually trim off the vast majority of the fat cap too. It will be fine. Cook it as you normally would.

The only difference you will notice is that you have less fat to throw away when you pull the meat.
    WOOF WOOF ;)
  • Hsbldr1Hsbldr1 Posts: 225
    Comedians and chefs all rolled up in one. Could I have found a better forum! :lol:
    Wait till you see us midgets run out of the car :laugh: :laugh: