Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with egg purchase

Options
ChefAl
ChefAl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy folks!
My name is Al and I am finally going to upgrade my Brinkmann charcoal smoker to an egg.

I was going to buy the Large Egg but they are out and offered the floor model XL for the same price. I seem to remember seeing an issue with the old fire ring or something compared to the new one.

I don't know how long it has been sitting on the floor so is there something I should be looking for?

Please advise this future Egghead!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Al,

The easiest way to tell is, if the fire ring, the upper ceramic ring inside has rectangular indents in it.
    Sounds like a good deal regardless cause you could buy the newer stuff and still be smiling.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I would jump at that. Buying it from the dealer, it will be under warranty. I have the XL and love it. I love the extra space (I grill more often than low-n-slow, but I do that a good bit too), and with the lump reducing ring from tjv, the XL is very versatile.

Many on this forum recommend the large, but I really love my XL, and to get it for the price of the large is great.

Richard
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the old fire ring except you will need an old plate setter. The new fire ring is shorter so it sites down further in the egg. The old fire ring only has about 1.5 inches between the top of the base and it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome to the madness, Al! Question for you. How much is "the same price as the Large"?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Good question Michael ;)
  • ChefAl
    ChefAl Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks for the quick answers. Price is $799 which is normal for the large I think.

I just read in another thread that BGE is redesigning the XL? Posted by 2Fategghead on this page:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=772702&catid=1

Anyone know what the new design is and why it is being changed? I'd like to find out before I buy one.

Regards,
    ChefAl
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I believe it is the dome.

Keep in mind I know nothing about cooking on the extra large. I don't have one nor am I saying anything good or bad about the subject. Here is the number for The Big Green Egg in Tucker Ga. (770) 938-9394 I talked to Bruce. Tim
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    I have to say I would jump on that offer. You could always add a smaller egg later if you find the XL to be too big.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I had the old fire ring and a new plate setter (actually it was the old plate setter that preceded the version of the plate setter with the short legs). I cut notches with a carbide blade and it works fine.
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    I would go for that offer too. I just paid $629 0r 39? for my second large.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    The link you referenced has to do with the MINI not the XL. There was a change to the XL and it has to do with the platesetter and the firering. The new style has square cutouts on the firering, the older style has scallops, at least that is what I have heard. I have the older style XL and as I haven't seen the newer style so I really can't compare with the design difference.

I do know that if I had a chance to get an XL for $799.00 I would jump on it with both feet. Mine with all the accessories cost a little over $1300.00.