Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ meat probe

Options
TNmike
TNmike Posts: 643
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm having problems with my DigiQ meat probe. It reads ambient temp. just fine but when I place it in my turkey it climbs to over 200* in just a few seconds. Temp with Thermo pin is actually 110*. Is the probe bad, has anyone else had this problem?? It has been a few weeks since I've done the boiling water test and will retest after the turkey is done. Thanks for any help or ideas. Mike

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

check the meat probe in boiling water and in ice water.

Also, make sure it is plugged in tightly to the q2

GG
  • TNmike
    Options
    GG, I'll do the boiling and ice water tests after the turkey gets done, already checked the connection and it was OK. I've not had a DigiQ probe go bad but other types of probes I've had go bad just gave no reading or max reading. I just thought it strange that it would read ambient temp fine and go crazy when put in 110* meat. Thanks, Mike
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    You have the same problem as the man with two watches; he's never quite sure what time it is, whereas the man with only one watch knows what time it is.
    Did this help at all? (Go by the Thermopen).
    Uglydog
  • TNmike
    Options
    :) I was like the man with 3 watches, I had the Maverick probe poked in the turkey too. ;) Mike
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    could it have been next to a bone?
    GP
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    I just got on here searching for the same thing. My turkey reads 210 with the digi q II but instant read says 155. Not next to the bone and I have poked every bit of this turkey trying to get a better reading. It will be jerky before I'm done. Just received the digi q and quite disappointed...I'm getting all kinds of 3 dash reading in the probe too
  • TNmike
    Options
    I don't think so. I moved it around and even put it near the Maverick probe and still readings were way way high, Thermo pin confirmed Maverick was pretty close. Boiling water and ice water test tomorrow, too full and lazy to do it tonight. Mike