Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie Time

Options
PapaB
PapaB Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I have to admit, I just got my Lg Egg a few weeks ago, and I was really lookin to do a vertical bird tomorrow, but I did a dry run, and it won't fit. My 18.5# bird just is too tall for the Lg, so I'm having to back off and do a horizontal roast. I'm sure it will turn out just as good.....Am I missin' something? Thanks to all the tips here that encouraged a dry run.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    just a hint whether vertical or horizontal an 18.5# bird runs the risk of having the dome thermometer impale it. Just remove that metal spring clip on the inside and throw it in the trash. Then you can easily remove the thermometer, insert bird, close dome and re-insert the thermometer! Good luck and welcome aboard!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    SSN...Welcome aboard!! RRP has given you decent advice. ;)
    Now a request...and you can tell me its none of my business....since this is your first post, might you consider changing your handle?? We have an SSN686 on the forum who has been around a LONGGGGG time....this may cause confusion... :blink:
    Thanks...and have a Happy Thanksgiving. :)
  • PapaB
    Options
    Little Chef, yep SSN686 and I have chatted...I understand the potential issue. I'll rethink my handle.
    Thanks.
  • i'm assuming you and jay were both ex nuke boat guys. . .jay on the 686 and you on the 681. ...a little confusing, but folks should be able get to used to it ... .you both served with pride!!
  • PapaB
    Options
    Yep, a nuke I was. I'll make a change to avoid the confusion.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Forgive me for my total ignorance....I did not understand the significance of your handle. Use it and use it with pride! We will just need to be more aware of the numbers on the end.....So, please forgive my ignorance....I should have read other posts before making such a request. :blush:
  • PapaB
    Options
    Thanks to all for understanding. I also understand your point of view and have made the change. I look forward to hearing from you all with your eggknowledge....

Thanks
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Dont change your handle. If we can recognize each others phone numbers, we can surely differentiate between a 3 digit Boat Number. Keep it with pride and welcome. :)
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Bill:

Don't worry about confusion with handle! Of course the decision is totally up to you, but as I said when you emailed me "Welcome to the world of EggHeads!" Use the SSN handle with pride...we know what it took to earn it! Plus...most of these fellow EggHeads have problems remembering their own name sometimes! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You know me well :whistle:
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    How can you confuse the L Mendel Rivers with the Batfish? Two totally different boats.

Mike "Proud offspring of a Tico Tiger, CVA 14" in Abita
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    this is a time to be thankful and I am

I am proud to chat with you all here on this forum and anywhere else we may meet

I say this with no punctuation so no disrespect

thank you all for serving and keep coming back

Tim
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I know! It's like confusing the Screaming Eagles with the All American. Same designation, totally different mission.

Proud Tropic Lightning alum
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Welcome aboard - back to the issue with the bird being too tall. I would think you could take the fire ring out to give you more head room. If you put the platesetter legs down, you will still be able to load plenty lump to cook at 325-350.

I suggest you also ice the breast ala Mad Max, don't add any extra wood for smoke (maybe just a little fruit wood - but not much), and use a thermometer to guide you instead of time.

Good luck with it.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Keep your handle, wear it with pride. Welcome to the forum, enjoy the camaraderie here and all the good advice. Happy Thanksgiving and let us know how your cook works out. SSBN 659(G) here.
    Uglydog