Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash Tool

Options
La. Redneck
La. Redneck Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good evening,
I have a simple question that is hard for me. What is the crooked end of the ash handle used for? I am sure there is a reason for the curved end, but what is it? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• WilliamH
    Options
    La. Redneck,
    Are you talking about the very end of the thing on the handle end? If so, I think it's for being able to hook something that's hot. Like hooking the daisy wheel top to remove it, etc.

• La. Redneck
    Options
    WilliamH,
    Thanks, that makes sense.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    La. Redneck,
    I'm sure it has its use, but you haven't used an ash tool till you used the custom ash tool made by Lawn Ranger. I'll even go so far as to say...Order one for yourself and if you don't like it, I'll buy it back from you...Honest !!! This offer is only for you, thats how certain I am of his product. If your interested contact Lawn Ranger. I am not associated with Mike in any way shape or form except for being 1 happy customer.

• Chef Wil,
    Where do you get this ash tool?

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Gessner,
    gridlifter@yahoo.com

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    La. Redneck, If you have one of the old style "Komando" hinges the crooked end is supposed to fit into the center of the hinge to assist closing. I'm only at the newbie stage of this form of Oriental exercise and can't comment as one of the Masters. This grasshopper still has difficulty with the hand switch, crossover, and close process, by Spring I hope to be able to accomplish this while holding a can. I often use a wooden paint stirer to get the ash out which seems to work quite well.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    La. Redneck, actually the hook is a throw back to the original sizzor hinge design. In order to engage the locking nature of the hinge there was a roll loop of metal at the hinge point and while holding the dome with one hand you pulled the "loop" forward to lock it open. All three of my eggs still have that style vs your spring assisted style.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    La. Redneck, You can pull ashes out of the bottom of the BGE through the bottom vent using the ash tool. JCA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I can't believe I just said all 3 of mine have that It's just my small BGE that does, but I just use my Lawn Ranger Grill Lifter to push or pull one leg of the hinge to prop it op[en or close it.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.