Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan shells for smoking?

Options
Tripmaker
Tripmaker Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone tried smoking with pecan shells? I have a bunch but don't want to risk putrefying the Thanksgiving turkey.

Comments

• Dust9000
    Options
    Do not know if I would try. If you have pecan shells, wouldn't it mean you have pecan wood nearby?

People use a lot of pecan wood down here. I am sure people would use the shells if it was ok, but have not heard people doing so.

Shells can be used as a mulch int he flower beds. Lasts a long time.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have not tried Pecan shells but Hickory nut shells work great. I get tons of smoke instantly with them. I would say watch out what you smoke though, it seems like you could over smoke easily. They do disappear quickly though.
    DSC_0002-6.jpg
    Hickory nuts are a pain to crack but are great for cooking. We got a huge amount of them this year.
  • Tripmaker
    Options
    No pecan trees here in Indiana. I had saved the shells from a bag of pecans I bought earlier this year. Haven't had the nerve to try smoking with them yet. Guess I'll wait and experiment on a chicken breast sometime when I can toss it if it doesn't work.
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Tried it once. Too much smoke and they were gone. Have
    not done it again. Love pecan wood...tom
  • DavidL
    DavidL Posts: 41
    Options
    This week, I just shelled 4-5 cups of pecans for Thanksgiving Day pies. I, too, considered using the shells for smoking, but ended up just throwing them out. I'll try it another time and let you know how it came out.

I wish you folks that love pecan wood lived by me, I have ample pecan wood year round, having four 60 yr old trees in my yard. They constantly loose sticks, limbs, etc. So much that I end up having to toss out quite a bit of it. And I have a bumper crop of pecans this year. They come in cycles, a good crop every 3 or so years. I'll end up shelling some for our own baking, but the majority of them I'll just containerize and sell to a local vendor.

David