Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs shine in below zero temps! (LOTS of pictures)

Options
2»

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    The coolers were to keep stuff from freezing too quick....though after the first -5 night, we started to get some freezage. As far as the Grands, there wasn't a chance in hell at them bad boys gettin' cold. They wuz gonne in two heartbeats!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Hey Chris,
    I knew there was a reason I liked you, your a sick-O (like I am) LOL[p]Here in the Valley of the Sun, when we camp in the summer, LOL, we just put the egg in the sun and the food on the grill, no lump needed. [p]Beers to ya Big Guy,[p]New Bob

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Awesome pics, even the non-BBQ ones! Looks like you had a blast. I do agree with QSis on you and yours being nuts. Then again, I was looking for some crazy folk the other night, and this helps me.[p]Next challenge for you is to come up with an "after" shot of that lamb. The "before" looks nice, but I'd like to see how you prep, cook, and serve it to your fellow Nature Boys.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You got my interest cranked. The link below goes to a web site for a producer of Mexican cheeses. News to me: several varieties don't melt![p]Ken
    [ul][li]Non-melting Mexican Cheeses[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    That's it! First picture in there.....Queso Blanco. Yowza. Killer griller cheese.[p]Now....maybe rub with olive oil, and a shake of salt and fresh herbs? Maybe some annatto?
    Hmmm. The possibilities are great with this. Non melting. Yes grilling. Heee.[p]Nighty night
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    I lived in San diego for 10 years and spent allot of time in Kings Canyon, Its really nice. I will dig my pictures out and scan and post them.
    BTW NB, Got the spices Friday (THANKS SO MUCH)and made chops tonight on the egg with them coated with Dizzy dust OMG they were perfect, !/2 thic 1 minute a side and closed up shop for 5 minutes Most killer chops ever had.
    As for the superbowl, Ah lets not go there. Anyway Thank you for your prompt shipping.

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    "I can't believe that no one has made a coment about the lack of women and the sheep nearby..."[p]I can't belive no one has made any jokes about lack of women, sheep AND camping in West Virginia! But maybe that's just a Maryland sense of humor thing.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Chris, tsk,tsk,tsk, well NOW you went and done it. You and the boys must have just gone plain crazy! :). Camping in below zero temperatures just ain't natural for most people. ;)
    It looks like you had a really great time and I wish I was there for parts of it, but I tell you, it ain't normal for most people to want to sleep in a freezing tent at -5 below just so we be camping and snooping around in the woods. :)
    There's lots of better weather coming soon. (trust me on this Chris ;)) It only gets better in the summer
    ChefRD[p] p.s. the food looked great tho!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    ChefRD,
    LOL. Good thing I am neither "normal" or "most people", I guess. Sure seemed fun to me. Minus 5 was nippy, but better than 95 and humid with bugs and critters everywhere. You can always bundle up against the cold, but ya can't escape the heat unless you are in the water.[p]Would love to go visit the UP in the winter. You are only a few hours from there, right? Snowmobile wonderland.
    Cheers mang
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Nice photos, boy! You have come a long way since you dropped that camera in the soy sauce, or whatever it was!![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Now I know you've gone over the edge. LOL (We don' need no steenkin' annatto...) Oil and a dusting of any of the Dizzy Pigs is all she'd need.[p]Ken

• Nature Boy, Yes, Sierra-Nevada range is fantastic. I gave up a career 14 years ago to live here. Don't regret one minute. Your picture is dynamite--did one similar last October. My bud s packed in the usual backpacking food. I brought pulled pork, ribs, and a couple t-bones. [p]Ihave a Kamado along with a Gator offset. The Kamado is too heavy to take along camping---your eggs are the ticket.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I've been out in my share of cold weather, but never camped in it. Not sure I'd like to try. SCUBA diving in the Carribean sounds a lot more fun, at the moment.[p]Saw this story just now and thought of your adventure:
    [ul][li]Snow camping[/ul]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Yep the UP is not "that" far away, but I've never had any desire to go there! :)
    Just too cold and desolate for me, but I'm sure you would love it. The scenery is beautiful and who nows?, after I retire I might go up there some july or August. ;)[p]later dude,
    ron.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You are a far, far braver/bigger man than I! I see that much snow and I won't leave my house for months...much less actually sleep without several blankets, the heater going full bore, wearing several pairs of socks and a coat inside.
    (you really went outside in that??)
    Excellent pics by the way!