Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pros and cons

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about buying a BGE. I would like to know some of the pros and cons on them. thanx

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    John,[p]If you happen to be in Florida we can give you a thorough demonstration this weekend. There will be a bunch of us at the Lakeland Pig Festival.
    If you don't happen to be in Florida maybe you should come anyway. It's probably warmer than where you are.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I am also considering a BGE (large).[p]My question is - what do you consider essential add-on's vs. neat stuff.[p]Toy Man
  • John,
    Well what might be a pro to one person may not be for another... Having said that, here's my take.[p]They are pricey (for me anyways, I had to get approval from the proverbial ball and chain before I got mine).[p]They weigh a lot and are probably not a good choice for a mobile cooker, although some folks manage to move them around often without problem. Mine stays on the deck year round and that's just fine with me.[p]They are very fuel efficient.[p]They hold heat very well (either low and slow temps or incredibly hot temps) regardless of the weather.[p]They are a conversation piece.[p]They won't rust because they are ceramic.[p]They might break because they are ceramic.[p]They have a cult like following (take that as you like).[p]They are what I like to call "child friendly". I have a small assortment of cookers and when I cook with the egg, I know that my kids won't get hurt or burned if they accidently touch it or bump into it. This is not to say that kids should go unattended by any lit cooker, but you get the idea.[p]They can cook direct or setup to cook indirect.[p]If you decide to get an egg, cool. If not, that's fine as well. This forum will still be here ready to help you with whatever we can (well, within reason).[p]Matt.

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    Chili%20-%20the%20cook%20in%20the%20snow.jpg
    <p />John,
    I've been egging for four months and have had nothing but success with everything I have done ... OK, there was the failed attempt at low-fat ABTs (can you say miserable failure ... sure, I knew you could). Anyway, here are the pros and cons of BGE as I see them.[p]Pros
    + Temperature control is very easy and holds consistent
    + Fuel economy - I cook 3-5 times per week. A bag of BGE lump will last me about 2 months (I have just opened a bag of Wicked Good and have no idea how long it will last)
    + Multiple fire setups - can cook direct (hot and fast) or can go low and slow as in Eastern NC barbecue
    + Forgiving cooks - I have put on a pork loin for a planned three hour cook and have been away for a bit longer than planned ... still turned out great
    + Doesn't care about the weather (see pic of a recent chili cook on a snowy/sleeting day)[p]Cons
    - You develop more friends than you can count ... all of them hungry :->
    - Your wife/husband/s.o. will make comments about how you smell like smoke (as if that is a bad thing)
    - One leads to another ... I am ordering my second (a mini) today[p]As for accessories, get an ash tool ... make sure your dealer is selling you the whole works ... egg, daisy wheel top, spring hinge band, and thermometer. You may as well go ahead and pony up for a Polder or RediCheck thermometer, too. I have both and use both.[p]Enjoy,[p]Doc

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    John,
    SouthO covered most of it. I'll add that ceramic cookers are smaller than some people think they need. They don't have a lot of grill space, so if you want to do grilled burgers for 50 people, you won't get as much done at one time as you will on that $1200 gas grill with 17 square yards of grill space. On the other hand. you can do 20 racks of ribs (if you are good like Chef Wil), at least 6 butts, a couple of briskets, etc.[p]The real plus, though, is the versatility. You can do beef jerkey at 180 degrees, you can do pork butts and briskets at 225 degrees, you can roast chickens and pork loins and prime ribs at 350, you can cook pizza at 600, you can sear steaks at 800, etc. All on one cooker.[p]Whatever you decide, I hope you have good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    Toy Man,[p]IMO, these are the bare essentials. You can cook just about anything with confidence on your egg with these items.[p]Plate setter (you can substitue a pizza stone or fire bricks)

Dome Thermoeter[p]Meat thermometer[p]Extension Grid[p]V-Rack[p]Ash Tool[p]If the egg doesn't come with a daisy wheel, then you definately need one of those. Good luck

• highlander
    Options
    All I got to say about the BGE "Get One" you will be glad you did................
    I been eggin about 2 and 1/2 months....(newbie) [p]If you like to keep adding charcoal and wood for your present method of cooking and burning your fingers, fighting with the temp control, water pans, anyway you get the idea...........Don't Buy One.....[p]If ya like to sit back and have a cold one or a wee bit of single malt scotch....and smell the smoke....."Buy One"[p]Dean[p]

• La. Redneck
    Options
    highlander,
    I was just reading the forum and read this last entry. I have many times wondered what was the tremendous attraction the egg has on me, other than the food and I feel you just nailed it. It is such a joy, sitting on my deck watching the smoke rise out of the green chimney and knowing I am doing everything I need too, to have great food. NOTHING You can enjoy your company, beverages, or just the view. It can't get much better than that. Thanks.

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    FatDog,
    I am trying to figure out from your picture how you have these thermometers set up. I tried using a polder thermometer in the dome and after it passed 212 it stopped.
    What's your setup?
    Thanks-
    JodyMo

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    John,
    Con - you will end up bbqing a lot more than you do now.
    Pro - you will end up bbquing a lot more than you do now.[p]Guess it depends upon how you look at it.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    JodyMo,
    I'm not Fat Dog, but I play one on TV.
    My setup includes a RediChek dual probe remote thermometer; one probe in the meat, and one in place of the BGE temp gauge. It looks like Fat Dog is using the curved meat probe through the dome. Short answer: I dunno.
    cheers,
    G.

• FatDog
    Options
    JodyMo,
    I am using my Redi Check remote thermo in the picture. I have one probe in the dome and one in the item being cooked (in this case, a pot of chili). In order to protect the transmitter from the elements, I placed it under the egg's rain cap (the lump of snow to the right of the egg in the pic). As for the Polder, I don't know its upper limits. If I am doing anything much over 250 degrees, I stick with the egg thermometer or put in a high temp thermocouple I have (will stand up to about 1200 degrees).

• FatDog
    Options
    Gretl,
    If you are going to play the FatDog on TV, you are going to have to see my agent for a release. LOL ...

• highlander
    Options
    La Redneck, It Just Don't Get No Better Does It?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Washog, that's a good list. I might add a pan that youo can allow to get dirty without your wife getting upset.

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    John,
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around (whatever you decide to buy) because there are great people and great ideas, here.[p]Here is my biggest impression after six months egging. Maintenance-free. The gas grill needed to be cleaned. The weber needs mainteance, though I just bought the low-end and replaced every two years because of proximity to the ocean and the saltspray. Both went to better homes in a recent garage sale. They were quite lonely.[p]With an egg, you have only to scrape out about 1/2 C of ashes before you light the next fire. Scrape off the cooking grid with aluminum foil or a brush, if you care to. Anything else that happens inside is seasoning the cooker. One hot fire gets it pretty clean, anyway, but it's not necessary.[p]Pricey, but the longevity compared to buying a new grill every couple years seems to work out in my favor. Finally, the versatility is impressive.[p]Good luck![p]Joyce[p]

• Buck Shot
    Options
    highlander,
    Scotch now that's my man. You don't hear enough of the single malt beverage on the website.[p]As for the above question about the cons: I was not aware that there were disadvantages to this thing. Well how about that.[p]Daisy wheel
    Remote Thermometer
    Ash Tool
    V-Rack and drip pan are the essentials beyond that are all great toys but not needed at first.[p]Get it and stop hating yourself for eating food that is not egged. It is something that you have not come to realize yet but if you own one you will.[p]Chris