Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mr Toads Loin - A Few Questions

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]We are snowed in here in Charlotte, so I am cooking what I have in the freezer. Today, that means a Pork Loin. I have the items I need for Mr. Toads recipe, but I have a couple of questions. I have one full loin, cut into three equal size pieces (about 10 inches each). I will be cooking two of the three pieces today.[p]Do you normally cut these lengthwise into three equal pieces, and then stuff and tie together? Or instead, just slice thinly lengthwise, and continue slicing until the piece is rolled flat - then stuff and roll back together before tying ?[p]Approximately how long do these take to complete? I am having neighbors over for dinner - I would like to try to time it somewhat accurately. Also, do you sear at all before putting in the V-Rack indirect ? If I end up a beer-early or a beer-late no problem. :-)[p]Cheers to all -[p]- Mike[p]

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I make this often and have done it both ways. I think it works best if you cut it into 3 layers, like a club sandwhich.
    I would guess that it should take 2-3 hrs to cook. I'd pull it at 138* and let it rise to 145ish in the kitchen.
    This is a great dish and every easy. I usually add chopped dates and any type of dried fruit, mixed is what I usually do. Lots of cashews too.
    I just wowed my neighbors this weekend with this dish.
    Good luck!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    This should help...
    Larry

[ul][li]Mr.Toads Pork Loin[/ul]
  • BunkyRub
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I did not realize that you are in Charlotte-I am in Matthews and a new egger as of last month. Good to know of at least one local person on the Forum.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    If the loin is big enough, I cut it into 3 layers. If not, then just two. As I remember, they take a little under 2 hours at the temp that Mr. Toad has in the recipe. I didn't sear mine since it was wrapped in bacon. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Charcoal Mike, I slice it in a spiral so that get as much surface area as possible. Besides, I like the look when you slice it to serve and get this pinwheel looking pice of meat on the plate. This technique also works with odd shapes of meat. Slice thin, lay pieces together to cover a rectangle. Slather on your seasonings (or jam or whatever) roll up and tie. the string will keep it all together while cooking. Unlike tied roasts however, I do not untie before slicing but I do remove any strings before serving the plates to my guests.