Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hodogs

giantwing
giantwing Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while ago there was a post from someone who made a sausage/hamburger on an english muffin. I can find it i think it was hodog or modog

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC08781aa.jpg

Well, I'm guilty of making sausage burgers. I use a midwest farm sausage recipe. And if I'm going to serve them on hot dog buns, I form them into skinnies.

DSC05629JPGaa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Might this help/

Sausage, Italian, Hodag Cookies, ClayQ

Ok, this is easy and fun, perfect for the newbie and pro alike. A hodag is a dangerous meat eating animal that lives up in the woods around the Rhinelander area of Wisconsin....even a bear won't mess with a hodag. Thought I'd name the snacks after it, ....Hodag Cookies.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Links Italian sausage
    1/4 Medium Onion
    1/4 Medium Green pepper
    8 Bays English muffin halves
    Grated cheese, chedder or mozzarella or whatever you like
    6 Ozs. Tomato Paste
    Dizzy Pig Seasoning, your choice

Procedure:
    1 Set up the egg for direct grilling at 350 degrees dome.
    2 Get your egg going first, and then prepare the sausage. In a food processor chop onion and pepper. Squeeze out the sausage from the casings and add to the processor and blend until it’s well mixed. About 30 seconds of blending.
    3 With a butter knife spread the sausage mixture into the muffin halves so the little holes are filled and the sausage is about ¼ inch thick over the entire surface.
    4 Oil the grid and place sausage side down on grid. Grill for about 20-25 minutes or until meat is cooked. Remove Hodags to a pizza pan and spread on a thin buttering of tomato paste then lay on the cheese. The cheese will stick to the tomato paste.
    5 Place Hodags in the pizza pan back on the grill and cook until cheese is melted (about 8 minutes) then sprinkle on some seasoning of choice, mine was Dizzy’s Red Eye Express. Then you’re done. Yummmmm.
    6 The Hodags are crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside and ………fun to eat.
    7 It’s party time!
    8 Clay

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat, Snack

Recipe Source
    Author: ClayQ

Source: BGE Forum, ClayQ, 2006/06/30
  • hey there. I've done a version of ClayQ's recipe for Hodags...at OKC and Atlanta, and Waldorf....can post the recipe later...but the concert is Italian sausage, bell peppers, and onions.., smeared on a toasted english muffin, cooked, then topped with cheese and seasoning...cooked til melted and serve. Here's a pic at one of the fests....
    P1020146Small.jpg

P1020148Small.jpg

these are the best pics I could find...there are more...but I think the computer ate them. Let me know if this is what you're looking for. Also, Ithink they are on the Eggtoberfest 09 recipes.

Desert filly
  • as always thanks
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    To really appreciate Clay-Q's Hodag sandwich which BTW is wonderful and I've made and served several times myself to groups you really need to read the colorful story (a masterful hoax) behind the Hodag legend. We first learned about the legend over 30 years ago when we vacationed in beautiful Rhinelander, WI. Here's a long read...enjoy!
    http://www.w-files.com/files/hodag.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Everybody loves a Hodag. :woohoo: :laugh:
    Thanks Richard for your recipe help, I owe you more than a few beers. ;)
    IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Clay,

Wwwwwould you be willing to share that recipe? It looks great!
  • It's in the recipe section above, in apetizers.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice read.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Thanks for the fun read. Taking a copy up to deer camp outside of Cable WI for the boys. ;)