Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter and coooold weather

Options
maddaug
maddaug Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need help fast. ABT's about to go on. What do you do to protect your platesetter from thermal shock?? We keep the platesetter out with the egg but if you start the fire and wait for it to warm up will it not crack the platesetter when you put it on???? I know from ceramic cookware that you cannot place frozen on hot etc......Opinions please!!!

Comments

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    maddaug,
    I allow my platesetter to heat up with the initial light. I you are going to need the grill first before the use of the platesetter, I suggest you heat it up in the oven first if the weather is extremely cold outside anf its been exposed to the elements. In the future, just keep the platesetter indoors (say, in the garage) It can stand up to shock but how much I would not know. Just a thought... Mac

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    maddaug,
    I put my starter cube in, put the place setter in, open the vents and wait for the whole thing to heat up at once. It does not interfere with fire starting at all. The openings around the plate setter are greater in volume than the opening in the top of the egg.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    3397695523232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E232335%3A85%3B666ot1lsi
    <p />maddaug,
    Skip the plate setter and do them direct. Faster and easier.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Banker John
    Options
    maddaug,
    You could always move to Florida LOL[p]Banker John

• maddaug
    Options
    Banker John,
    O.K. real funny!!! It's 12 degrees, 0 windchill. But we will be heading south for spring break. Then while the 70's will seem warrrrrm to us you will think we are nuts to be near naked in the water.

• maddaug
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    We went direct. Next time we will fire the egg up with platesetter if used. Thanks for the info everyone.

• Banker John
    Options
    maddaug,
    BBBrrrrrr, it's 68 right now and expect a low tonight of low 50's. Unfortunately, it has been raining most of the day... A good day for watching football and q'ing.[p]Good luck with your ABT's. They make for some great finger food![p]Banker John