Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tried It - Coffee Crusted Steak - Liked It

RaySRayS Posts: 114
edited 7:31PM in EggHead Forum
I tried the coffee crusted strip loin steak recently posted, and I must say it tasted pretty good.[p]I ground 2 tsp. of coffee beans with 2 tsp. of black pepper corns then applied to the 2 steaks after a light dusting of salt. Cooked at 450 degrees for 5 minutes per side direct, 5 minutes indirect, 5 minute rest covered with foil on a plate. Ended up with a medium well done steak. [p]With the coffee crust, the steak looked like it was charred almost Chicago Style.[p]With the side dishes these two 1-inch steaks fed 5 people. Nobody had any idea there was coffee on them.[p]Has anyone else tried yet?[p]RayS

Comments

• 10441044 Posts: 93
    RayS,
    What kind of flavor did it impart?

• RaySRayS Posts: 114
    1044,[p]The flavor was hard to explain. I could taste the coffee with the spice of the pepper. Everyone else couldn't tell what was on the steak, but they really enjoyed it.[p]RayS

• BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    RayS,[p]I used equal parts of pulverized (Greek) coffee, ground pepper, turbinado and salt. Put it on pork steak, and it was great! Stepdaughter didn't recognize the coffee; thought it was cocoa.[p]Ken
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,437
    For me, it imparts kind of a roasted malt flavor....sorta like you might taste in a stout, or a porter. Like Ken says, it can have a cocoa-like flavor as well.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Nature Boy,[p]I think a lot of it comes down to the coffee you use. I'm going to try regrinding French Market (coffee and chickory) to more nearly expresso grind next time.[p]Ken