Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another 2 fer cook

Gunnar
Gunnar Posts: 2,307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Chuck roast on sale so started with 2 ~ 3 pounders.
RoastandChile004.jpg
RoastandChile007.jpg
Getting close..love it when samples start falling off.
RoastandChile010.jpg
Standard roast & gravey Sunday & Monday night
RoastandChile013.jpg
RoastandChile016.jpg
Chuck roast chili Tuesday & Wednesday night
RoastandChile021.jpg
RoastandChile022.jpg
RoastandChile024.jpg
RoastandChile032.jpg
RoastandChile039.jpg
RoastandChile043.jpg
Have another twin pack in the freezer from the sale. :)
LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX

Comments

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Beautiful. :woohoo:
  • Barry,

That gravy on the mashed potatoes looks amazing! Nice cook.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gunnar
    Steve

Thanks, I was very pleased with how this batch turned out.
  • Gunnar
    I'm going to get this roast cook down...practice, practice, practice.. :laugh:
  • Toadie
    Toadie Posts: 22
    This looks amazing. Can you give some particulars?
  • Gunnar
    The roast are covered with Kitchen Bouquet and generously rubbed with coarse ground pepper. (No one at homes complains of pepper) Then browned about 5 to 7 minutes per side. I use a 50/50 mix of beef and chicken broth keeping the top 1/3 of the roast exposed. I quartered an onion and a few sprigs of thyme. No lid on the pot during the cook. Plate setter legs up and the grid. Dome runs 325 to 350 for a light simmer, not boiling. Roughly 3 1/2 hours, probably longer.….you’ll know when it’s done.I turm them over at the 2 hour mark. If the broth looks low during the cook, add more. I mix about 1/4 cup flour in enough cold water to make a medium paste (free of lumps), whisked. Remove/and or strain anything out of the pot you don't want in the gravy, i.e. fat, etc. Add to pot with remaining broth/juices. It won't start to thicken until it starts to boil. Now keep at a light simmer and more 50/50 broth mixture once it starts to thicken) until it get to the consistency you want. You'll probably add more salt & pepper. It will need to cook at least 15 to 20 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste. I accidently went a little heavy on the kitchen bouquet and thinking that’s part of the reason the gravy color came out a little darker.
  • rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    share your recipe both look real good
  • Gunnar
    The roast and gravy is posted under Toadie.
    The chili is an Emeril recipe I've been tweaking. Really not bad for an easy recipe. His original recipe is below; my changes are in (). I have some bulk stores around that I can get good spices at a reasonable price. Especially chili powder, so no Gebhardts. For a large batch I use 5 TBL of chili powder.

Chili con Carne

1 tablespoon bacon fat or vegetable oil
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef (2 lbs plus beef – NO coarse chili ground!!)
    2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper (1/2)
    4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 to 5 cloves)
    2 tablespoons chili powder (2 each Pendrys, Ft Worth original & light)
    1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows (none; sprinkled a few of the ingredients in)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons ground cumin (1 plus)
    1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1 (15-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
    3 tablespoons tomato paste (80% of a 6 oz can)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 cups water (50/50 mix of beef & chicken broth)
    (2 jalapenos minced…This batch I used 1 can of Rotel original)
    (Added 1 frozen pack of Hatch pepper from CM or 4 oz can of green chilies)
    (This batch I added 1 can each pinto & dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed)

Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the meat and stir with a long-handled wooden spoon to break up the pieces. Cook, stirring, until the meat is brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, Essence, salt, cumin, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Put the whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl and squeeze them with your hands to break them into pieces. Add the squeezed tomatoes and their juices, the tomato paste, sugar, and water to the pot. Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the chili from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
    2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
    1 tablespoon dried thyme
    Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
    Yield: about 2/3 cup
    Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
  • Toadie
    Toadie Posts: 22
    Is that a Le Creuset dutch oven you're using? Great job on the cook; quote from my girlfriend when I showed her the pics: "Damn..."
  • Gunnar
    I wish....it's a 6 1/2 quart by Lodge that I got on sale for about $30.00 I don't feel so bad when I don't clean the smoke off the outside of the pot like I really should.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Great use of on sale Beef,I love to find stuff on sale and then turn it into something tasty.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Gunnar
    How can you miss with gravy? :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice cooks Barry. You've been busy. Thanks for the pics!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE