Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cookin' with the lid open--hanger steak

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To celebrate the Saints' victory over the Falcons, I cooked a hanger steak--with the lid open (gasp!) In short, it rocked...I heated up a cast iron skillet on the grill (lid closed) for about 30 minutes at 550, then seared both sides of the steak in the skillet. I moved the steak to the grill to continue cooking, while I deglazed the skillet with red wine, shallots, and sliced mushrooms (see pics here: (http://bouillie.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/hanger-steak-with-shallots-mushrooms/). It was so good, I can foresee more cooking with the lid up in my future.

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I'm a Bears fan, but I'll root for my Boilermaker QBs any time they're not playing the Bears. We don't get too many Saints games televised up here in Chicago, but when they ARE on, I LOVE watching the Saints play. They're an exciting team. Go Saints, Go Broncos.

Oh yeah, and your steak looks awesome. I've just "followed" your blog. A small request? Bigger photos on the blog, or the option to click on them for a full-size view? The last photo on this post is a little hard to make out.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Way to go! I often sear my steaks in a CI pan, preferring to use the instant, nuclear heat of my turkey roaster base rather than the Egg. A splash or two of cognac makes for a spectacular finale and with a bit of butter and/or oil the pan is now ready for the shrooms! Here's the results of a recent cook...

NYStripII.jpg