Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How hard is Easy?

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my first Egg 10 years ago. A Medium, 'cause it was a "demo" at a nearby BBQ Galore and on sale at a very good price. I had no idea what I was doing, but I had to have a Big Green Egg. Got lots of GREAT advice and many tips from the wonderful members of this site. About two and a half years later, I added a Large 'cause I wanted a second. (Everybody does :laugh: :laugh:) I've gotten by all this time with the Large/Medium combination, a couple of platesetters, an ET-73, and a Thermopen. I read a lot about various "must have" flame throwers; electronic fans; computer controlled temp control devices; and various other high-tech devices that some believe are must haves to properly use the Eggs. For the newcomers and the not yet decided, all those "upgrades" are great to have someday, but it can all be done very, very simply. BGE's are terrific cookers all on their own!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I bet you have an automatic garage door opener.

At times it's just about wanting to relax with a Guru or using a Themapen to not over cook $100.00 worth of steaks.

Don't wait, buy them now and relax. LOL
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I SECOND DARIAN! We're living here and now in this little slice of time...let's make it as sweet as we can!

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    All that is needed to "properly" use the Egg, is the Big Green Egg itself, period. An indirect piece and pair of tongs come close to being necessities but even so, arent. ANYTHING else is just to make it egging easier, as if it was needed.
  • Gandolf
    Options
    I DO have an automatic garage door opener, 'cause sometimes it rains :laugh:. My post wasn't intended to be negative, but rather encouraging - you don't have to spend all that $ right away.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dave,

That is pretty funny. I have two gurus and one has never been used and the other once or twice. I have done twenty or more low and slows since that time.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    I don't disagree.....but I could cook a steak with a few lumps of coal....a coffee can....and some old window screen too. Not many folks buy a big green egg cuz it is simply easy....these are folks who enjoy the "art of the cook".

I am a purist. I am also anal retentive (I bet lots of egg owners are anal as hell...it is the nature of the high quality product)...but a thermometer makes things easier...not harder.

I do have a bit of an issue with the Stoker and the Guru. I understand that some folks might need it...but I actually enjoy the "art of the cook" and that includes tending the cooker, meat, coal, fire, air etc. I live in KC....If I wanted it to be just EASY...I'd go to one of many of the finest BBQ restaurants in the WORLD which are only minutes from my house. There are a few tools that I really like to have with my egg: good thermometer, place setter, pizza stone....and that's all folks.
  • Gandolf
    Options
    Look again. I have an ET-73 and a Thermopen.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Dave, just joking with you.
    I know you were not being negative. LOL
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    No I hear ya Dave...really. I looked at that Guru website...saw all those batteries...wires...probes...fans...adaptors etc. and thought "why in gods name do I want to mess with all that". I s'pose the reason that I thought that .... was because I just don't need it!

But...I must say...I am elated to finally have a thermapen...something to give me a real temperature of my food in less than 30 damn seconds.
  • DrugCoder
    Options
    I don't have all the fancy gadgets yet but I love my egg. Thermapen will be my first though. Tired of crappy thermometers that don't last.
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    the only additional items I have bought to go with my egg are a Thermopen, a platesetter, a pizza stone and a MAPP torch.....honestly the MAPP torch is the only item of the 4 that I can do without.....just my 2 cents B)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Before my Egg, I cooked Que on a steel offset unit, a pretty high end one. I actually enjoyed tending the fire, soaking the wood chunks, adding charcoal evry couple hours. SO, to me(& many others) the BGE "IS" basically automatic, at least for barbecuing. Anyone with common sense can learn to manipulate the lower vent and daisy wheel to keep a fire burning for 12-15 hours. Sure, theres an errant fire that goes out on rare occassion when not paid attention too...so what.

My "must haves"... Platesetter, Pizza Stone, Thermapen, & Woo Ring. ;)
  • It is nice of you to say that. I'm a brand new egghead myself and I keep hearing about all these add-ons and it's a bit overwhelming. First of all I just dropped a thousand bucks on the egg itself, so it's tough to spend all this extra money on accessories right away. Plus it's just plain confusing to keep track of all this stuff. I will say that the placesetter is a must-have and I am glad I got the ash rake also. I'm sure as time rolls on I'll have quite the collection of egg toys but until then I am glad to know that I can still eat some really good food.
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    I agree, I had my BGE for several months before I found this site and knew anything about all of the extras and gadgets. I cooked all kinds of stuff. The platesetter was the first extra I bought and still think it should be the 1st.

Now a couple of years later I have many of the other toys-Guru, raised grids, thermo pen, pizza stones, etc, and 2 more BGEs. ;) :laugh: