Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OTHER COOKS

Options
La. Redneck
La. Redneck Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
GOOD AFTERNOON,
I have now owned my EGG for several months and it has taken me to a new level of Bar B Queing. Meat is not a problem. I have been having problems with cooking veggies such as sweet potatoes & corn. I have tried several different ways and receipes. The potatoes and corn just are not soft enough. I don't want to overcook them but they just are not the same quality as the meat that is cooked in the BGE. If you have any suggestions please feel free to give them to me. Thanks if you can help.[p] La. Redneck

Comments

• LA REDNECK,[p]Are you cooking corn on the cob? If so, don't remove the husks. Just run the corn (with husks) under water, wrap in foil and bbq. You can also do this w/o the foil.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    LA REDNECK,
    I like my veggies soft also, I do corn in foil, olive oil or butter and pepper, poke a few holes in the foil for a little more smoke flavor. I have done sweet taters both in foil just like the corn and I have done them direct on the grill. Just cook to your liking, trial and error but what fun.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    LA REDNECK,
    I like to wash and dry the potatoes, and rub them with lard. Wrap in a double layer of foil and put right down on the coals. Takes about 45 mins. to an hour.[p]Corn, as mentioned below, I just soak for 5 minutes or so in cool water and put, husks in place, on the grill direct. Turn every 15 minutes or so, when the husk begins to scorch, and peel back the husk slightly to check for done-ness. When you peel the husks to serve, the silks come right along. Too easy![p]Ken

• La. Redneck
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Hey Guys,
    Thanks for all the help. I guess I am just being impatient. Thats hard to believe after spending 10 to 14 hours on a cook. I have just had so much success in cooking the main course, I am rushing the side dishes. Like you all said, Trial and Error. I am doing it right, just NEED to give it more time and wrap in aluminum. THANKS AGAIN.

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    LA REDNECK,
    As for corn, I like to pre-boil some bacon and wrap a strip around the stalk. Just peel back the husk and pull off the silk. Wrap in bacon and season. Fold the husk back up around the stalk and put on the grill. I also soak the corn husks in water before preparing. It helps to steam the corn and soften it up the way you are looking for. Mac

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    LA REDNECK,
    i cut sweet potatoes into planks, brush with olive oil and sprinkle them with coarse pepper and salt.[p]flip when they blister, and take off when they blister again. nice and soft but firm, great taste

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante