Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Spareribs Beginner's Luck (Long)

TroubleTrouble Posts: 276
edited 1:38PM in EggHead Forum
Research, research, research. I read previous spareribs threads in the archives for about two hours over the weekend. I decided to give it a try yesterday, morphing about six different methods. Forgive the length--I post mostly for other beginners who might like a nudge or some direction. I've had ribs this good at my favorite bbq joint, but none better. I feel very lucky.[p]Here are the basics:[p]I cannot remember the proper usage for "rack" and "slab," so I'll just say that I removed the membrane (paper towel worked great) and cut the big long piece of 18 ribs into three serving size portions of about six ribs each. [p]Sprinkled kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides, and rubbed it in. Wrapped in plastic wrap and stuck back in the fridge. No overnight marinade or anything, just long enough to get the egg cleaned, ready and burning right.[p]Lit the fire Elder Ward style and aimed for 220° - 260° range. When it got there, I placed an inverted plate setter on the fire ring with a drip pan half full of water only, and then the grid on top of the plate setter, then inverted V-rack, then ribs in v-rack slots. Egg climbed back up to 230° and settled there.[p]Ignored them for about 1.5 hours, checking that temp stayed between 220 and 250°. Then I opened the egg for the first time and the top (ends of ribs, really) was cooking more quickly, so I flipped them.[p]I had no idea how long these guys would take because I read so much stuff about direct and indirect at different temps. Lifted the lid again after another 1.5 hours. Beginning to show signs of tenderness, but still a ways to go, it seemed. At that point (three hours in), I wrapped them in foil; all together stacked on top of one another and wrapped in one big piece of silver stuff. Back on fire for another 1.5 hours, and let the fire climb to 260° and stay there. This was a real test for my 'A' personality.[p]Unwrapped 'em. Now we're getting close. Put my favorite bbq sauce on both sides. Placed them directly on the cooking grid (still an indirect cook, though) and let them stay there for another hour. Shut the egg down almost all the way and temp slowly dropped back to 220°.[p]Wrapped them back in foil all stacked up again and brought them inside. 20 minutes later the green beans were finished and the ribs were still almost too hot to handle, tender and yummy. I cut one off, took one bite, and the rest of the meat landed on the plate leaving me holding the bone. [p]Total time: 5:50.[p]Thanks to all those who contributed their prior experiences. WessB was in there, NatureBoy, TNW, and many others. Forgive me if you recognize your piece of the process and I failed to give you credit. Suffice it to say I started out ignorant and all ideas belong to others.[p]Joyce
Sign In or Register to comment.