Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Troubles

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey trouble - my turkey would not cook! Thanksgiving turkey 16-17 lbs. cooked for 4 hours and only reached 160 degrees. I also had problems with the temperature - the temperature kept rising above 400 degrees. I had to open the egg to let it cool down to 300-325 degrees. Christmas turkey 11 lbs. cooked for 4+ hours and only reached 160 degrees. Temperature steady at 300 degrees. Need help. Thanks. Sandra

Comments

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Sandra,
    Sorry you had trouble. I did both my holiday turkeys on the BGE and had a fair bit of success. Although I'm no expert (they'll probably be along soon), I have a few thoughts for you.[p]A turkey is a lot of mass to try to get to the high 200's from a 300 degree dome temp. And if that's the temp way up in the dome, it may be somewhat less down below. I hit a plateau around the same place you did when I tried to cook a turkey the first time. [p]So now I use a dome temp of between 350 and 400. Closer to 400, really, as my probe is one of the short ones. At that dome temp, you are coming closer to the typical turkey oven directions of 350. It's plenty juicy (rave reviews) and moist.[p]The erratic temperature is a bit of a puzzler. Try opening up the vents to get to your desired temp range. Say that's 375. As it climbs, shut the vents down quite a bit at 350 and see what the temp does over the next two-to-five minutes. Adjust accordingly but don't open the lid. You get an immediate drop because of air exchange, but you also provide the coals with a bunch of air. That will get you some pretty erratic responses. Use the vents...the change is slower, but easier to manage.[p]Keep trying...you'll be thrilled with the results.[p]Oh, and check your thermometer with boiling water. That first cook sounds a little funny.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandra,
    i roasted my t-day turkey with great success. . .i did a 19 pounder in a traditional roasting pan set over a water pan to make sure i got indirect heat. .. .set the egg up with a full load of lump, set temp at 325 dome temp (just like i would in an indoor oven). .. .it took about 7 1/2 hours to be done (180 in the thigh). . .. whenever i 'roast' in the egg, i typically plan for the same times as i would indoors and so far it has always worked out, whether its a turkey or a prime rib, etc. ..[p]keep on roasting. . .you'll get it. . .

• ChefFubar
    Options
    Sandra,
    It is difficult to say what problem was. I cooked three small turkeys (12 pound class) over the holidays, and all went well.
    Around thanksgiving I watched part of a program that was hosting an "expert" on holiday cooking and entertaining, and she was asked what the most common problem and mistake was in cooking turkey; she said the number 1 problem was not allowing enough time for frozen birds to thaw. I later came across a table that showed the amount of time required to thaw turkeys by weight ranges, and was really surprised to see how long it takes.
    Just a thought.
    Also, was your turkey stuffed? Thermometer in breast or thigh?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Sandra,
    You may have had your thermometer touching bone, which could send you readings all over the place. Also, as mentioned earlier, do not stuff your turkey while cooking it on the egg.[p]As an option, you can purchase a vertical Turkey Roaster. This should allow for even cooking.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Sandra,
    What was your setup in the egg??? Direct, indirect or????[p]
    If you open the dome to let some heat out and did not shut the lower vent you have allowed more air into the egg to fuel the fire, that can result in the egg getting hotter after you close the dome.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    Trouble,[p]Erratic temps can also come from the probe getting scorched in a prior cook. Does it vary just sitting on the table at room temp? If so, get a new probe. Check batteries also. I use the plate setter when I cook turkey so I am higher in the dome - 350 is close to ideal to cook.

• New Bob: My setup is direct with rack and drip pan. Maybe I need the vertical rack? My temperature problem has happened several times - after I reach 300 degrees, I shut the vents to 1/4 inch each but after awhile the temp begins to rise and rise and rise 400 500 600 - so I open the dome -keeping it open with the daisy damper. Why after maintaining a temp of 300 for awhile would the temp start rising if I close the vents to 1/4 inch? Sandra
  • Chef Fubar, Turkeys were fresh and not stuffed. I did put the thermometer in the breast. Is that wrong? Did you use a vertical turkey roaster? Drip pan? Indirect or direct cooking? What temperature for the 12 pound birds and how long did it take to cook your turkeys?
    Thanks. Sandra

• Trouble, What do you mean a "turkey is a lot of mass to try to get to the high 200's from a 300 degree dome temp". Also, I guess I need to cook my bird at a higher temp - 400 degrees? The problem with the temp is weird - I maintain 300 degrees for awhile and then all of a sudden it begins to rise and rise and rise and rise - 400 500 600 degrees! What would cause that if it was steady at 300? I only open the dome and prop it up with the daisy wheel because the rise in temp doesn't stop! Thanks. Sandra
  • tlhrtp, Probe is O.K. it works on oven roasted chickens etc. Although it has been scorched by prior cooks. If you use the plate setter, do you use a vertical turkey roaster? What do you use? Thanks. Sandra

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Sandra, when you open the dome you are increasing the air supply to the coals. this will increase the fire and the amount of heat in the egg. with a turkey, stabalize your temps for a half hour, put the bird in the egg and wait 20 minutes to see where it will stabalize again. then only make small adjustments and wait for the egg to change temp and stabalize again. dont open the dome when you are trying to stabilize.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tom Harmon
    Options
    Sandra,[p]Plate setter and vertical roaster will probably take you too high in the dome with a turkey. I have never used vertical roaster w/turkey and they always come out great due to the consistent temps in the BGE, the platesetter provides thermal mass and protection from the direct heat. [p]My personal recommendation would be to use the platesetter, if you use the vertical roaster do not use the platesetter. You would have a tough time going wrong either way.[p]Temp s/b right around 350 so you will get a nice crispy skin. The meat is LEAN so low & slow just doesn't buy you much. NO stuffing in the bird as the additional mass will just slow down the cook and cause the bird to be more susceptible to drying out. YMMV[p]tlhrtp
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    Sandra, sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the temp control. I'm no expert (working on three years) but I can make some good food on the Egg - at least Momma and the family are happy! Some basics...[p]Clean the Egg out - I do before I start a lengthy cook. My clean out is to dump the fire grate and scrape out the ash. About twice a year I remove everything and clean out.[p]Lump - what are you using? Is it dry? Different sized hunks? (not all small / tiny). I use nothing special - WalMart stuff. Works great. A lot has been said about layering the size of lump - big on bottom, then medium chunks and small on top. The only time I really do that is for butt / brisket cook. The rest of the cooks I just give a gentle stir or 3 / 4 to get the small stuff to fall through the fire grate (then clean), then dump some more in from the bag.[p]Starting the fire - how do you start your fire? I have found that it is easier to control things if you let the temp come up to approx what you want for cooking - keeping a close eye on things so as not to let it go way over. IOW, if I plan to cook at 300, I don't let it get much over that. Don't forget that adding the plate setter, drip pan, etc., will all lower the initial temp until they get up to temp as well. I usually let the fire go a good 45 minutes - sometimes an hour - before I put the food on. By that point, I know the fire / temp is stable. [p]Cooking temps - don't forget that the dome temp can be as much as 30 degress higher than the temp at the food grate level. Make sure your probe is actually in the meat (not that I have ever stuck it through the bird into the cavity and wonder why this thing was cooking so quick. Nope, not me). Make sure the probe is accurate.[p]I have had several experiences with run away temps. Simple solution - shut all the vents - top / bottom. Don't open the Egg during this process. The temp will fall rapidly. Crack open the bottom - and I do mean a crack - same for the top. Be patient here - it may take a bit of adjusting to get it right. Unless I am doing some really high temp stuff, I do most of the temp control with the daisy wheel. Again, be patient. Make an adjustment, watch what happens to the temp. If you have the top completley open and the temp is not high enough, open the bottom some more, etc. Experience counts for a bunch here.[p]Make sure the bird is thawed completely. Don't put stuffing (the real stuffing) in. I stuff with quarters of apple, onion and orange.[p]Seems to me that you just need some more "stick" time - time spent getting used to how the Egg cooks - getting used to the temp control nuances, etc. It took me some time - and I'm still learning.[p]As far as the turkey cook, my favorite method is plate setter (upside down), drip pan on the plate setter (got to have the juices for the gravey!) and a dome temp of 350 - 375. Worked great so far.[p]Sorry for the novel but I hope it helps. Keep trying, you will be glad you did.[p]LVM