Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Sweet Potatoes w. Ribs?

Options
RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try some ribs today, and wanted to serve sweet potatoes along with them. Can I cook them in the egg along with the ribs? If so, when would I put them in? Any ideas for seasoning? They're long and thin, and I planned to slit them in a few places to avoid explosions.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I bake sweet potato's all the time and I never slit them. Depending on how you plan to cook your ribs and what temp.

I cook my ribs indirect somewhere around 275* so I would cook my potato's over the platesetter for about 1.5 hours depending on how skinny your sweet potatos are.

I'm not sure what ribs your are talking about but I cook medium ribs around 2.5 hours and I would put my sweet potato's in with them after one hour. Use this as a guide line.

I'm sure there will be others that will chime in here soon.
    Tim
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Thanks, Tim! They're just regular spareribs, about 5 1/2 lbs of them, and I have them on indirect; I'm aiming for about 300° for about three hours and then seeing what they look like. That's the recipe I got from RRP on the forum. I guess I should stick the potatoes on the plate setter after about an hour and a half, then. Do you season yours or just stick them on as is?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    If you don't have room on the food grate try wraping them in HD foil nothing else. Tim
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Tim, I just put them in, and placed them on the foil that I have protecting my plate setter.

There was a teeny piece of meat that looked done, so we tried it. Delicious! We're leaving the rest of it in for a while.