Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin in the Rain

Options
uglydog
uglydog Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to hear comments and experiences from other eggheads on this experience: My egg lives outside without a roof over it's head, and no beach umbrella keeping the rain off it. Saturday I tried to do a cook during a pretty healthy rainstorm.The egg, a large,seemed to have a lot of difficulty getting up to 400 deg, and I attributed this to the moist air slowing the fire, because I knew the vent holes and grid holes were clear. Finally got my cook done, but I was concerned about the difficulty getting to higher temps. Monday was a beautiful, clear day, so I loaded the egg with additional lump and fired her up for some pizzas. While the egg was coming up to temp I noticed a lot of water vapor (some call it steam, but it's really just water vapor)coming off the exterior of the dome, and even bubbles of water coming out of the ceramic. Eventually the vaporization stopped and the dome temp came up to 550 deg. Methinks perchance the pores of the ceramic opened up during the rainy cook,admitting water droplets into the cramic; then this water had to bake off during the next cook. If this is the case, what would happen if I had seroiusly cold weather and the water in the pores froze? Sorry for being longwinded.

Uglydog

Comments

• Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Uglydog...yes the ceramic is porous and will take on moisture...as such will take longer to come to temp as moisture is released out of the egg.
    Great question in regards to absorbed moisture freezing. I would like to know that as well since I am a Canadian Egger. Fortunately my eggs are under a roof/awning...but still curious about the answer.

Wayne
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    This is something I've wondered about, too, for some time, as I live in Oregon.
    The West/Wet side of Oregon....
    I know, too, the bottom of the egg is unglazed, and that if it sat in water/a puddle it would definitely soak in.
    Having seen all my terracotta flower pots flake off shards during the cold spells, it only makes me wonder.
    And also makes me glad I have my egg in a covered carport...
    Somebody needs to e-mail BGE...think I probably will.
    They would be the ones to ask.
    RicklessssssssssS

Surprised/amazed to hear that the exterior glaze let's out water/moisture. I would have guessed that the glaze was pretty much impervious, but guess not.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Wayne,

In twelve years and several eggs, I have never had a problem. Mine aren't covered. The only issue is the dome freezing shut when it rains and then goes gold. That is an easy one to overcome.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    FYI- you might want to go to Home Depot or some other type of store and buy a round roof rainproof vent cover. I bout one that is just a bit bigger around than the daisy wheel cap so I never have to worry about rain. Very inexpensive but helpful.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    Thanks Steve that about answers it. Wasnt too worried as the elements miss my eggs exept if we get a nasty wind that blows rain/snow in the right (wrong) direction.

Cheers,

Wayne