Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Useing Conifer wood for smokeing

Options
Willie Lump Lump
Willie Lump Lump Posts: 229
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen postings about not using conifers as smoking woods. I do use a specific conifer for a specific flavor and see postings from others that may be using it in a different way.
I refer to white cedar. I see many using it (or red Cedar) as a plank for anything from fish to mashed potatoes.
I use it as a smoking wood. Generally it is an adjunct to Alder when I smoke Salmon. I use a small split with four or five splits of Alder. ( Splits for me are chunks broken down to half inch wide by two to three inch width and lengths)
The flavor of the smoke is pretty much the flavor of the planking. It is distinctive and can be recognized.
I don’t know that I would try it on anything but fish. The flavor may seem odd on something else.
I feel that more than one split and its flavor takes over.
It is sold at some sources and can be found on the net here: http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/