Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken

Options
Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning all,
I have had 7 sucessful, no perfect cooks on my egg. Last weekend it was an uncooked 8 1/2 pound butt portion ham. It took longer than expected to smoke. Low and Slow took almost 7 hours between 250 and 275 dome temp to reach 170 meat temp.
My question is I am going to cook a TURDUCKEN for New Years Day. I was told that when the internal temp hits 165 it is done. Does anyone out there have experience is cooking one low and slow. Does the probe need to be placed in the turkey, duck, or chicken. I would assume in the center of the meat. This is an expensive dish so I do not want to ruin it. What type of wood chunks for smoke would you suggest?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. [p] Thanks from Louisiana. Go L S U !!!!!

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Any particular reason why you want to do low and slow? Poultry picks up plenty of smoke flavor from just the charcoal for most folks. Any added smoking woods will enhance that flavor. I would the turducken at 350°-375° indirect. This should give you a nice crispy skin. I'm not sure how long it will take, but my 14 lb. turkeys take less than 2 hours. I'm sure there will be a couple turducken cookers come around and give you some advice, too. Good luck and keep us posted![p]Jim
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    turducken2.jpg
    <p />Louisiana Redneck:[p]I have done a couple recently with very good results. My source provides 16 pound birds that take about three and a half to four hours to cook at 325º to 350º. The turducken is cooked direct breast down (the back is stitched together and is not strong) on an elevated rack. I do not leave a thermometer in the bird during the cook but monitor once it nears completion. At just above 162º internal I remove from the fire, cover with foil, and insulate with a towel for a fifteen minute rest before serving.[p]Boneless, except for the wings make this a very easy collection of birds and stuffing to slice and serve. It makes a very tasty meal that goes well with gravy, a spicy yellow rice, and Cajun beans.[p]turducken3.jpg
    [/b]
  • La. Redneck
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Thanks for the help

• djm5x9
    Options
    La Redneck:[p]Regarding the wood, something on the lighter side . . . Pecan, sugar maple, or any fruit wood. Very little if any at all, remember, this is not "Q" and too much smoke could be very distracting.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,
    Where is your "source"? Do you order on line or is there a butcher near you? if so where are you and does he ship?[p]i have been wanting to do one, but not sure of the quality ordering something like this online.[p]thanks for the advice, your looks great![p]mike
    war eagle

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Great photos! Thanks.

• djm5x9
    Options
    WE_Mike:[p]Here is the link to my Atlanta connection. Chef Wil posted a link to a company that sells over the internet in a thread over the past couple of weeks. Just do an Internet with Google and you will find a few.

[/b]