Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire grate

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Somebody tell me why the fire grate is cast iron with holes in it rather than a stainless steel grate that would allow for a lot more air and less ash retention??

Comments

• SpecialK-MD
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. See my post below about low temps. I was tempted to replace the grate with a turbo grate recommended on this forum. Or just find or make something, but I figure I'd just go with better charcoal. If that doesn't work I'm going to be pissed. What kind of charcoal are you using by the way?
  • hizzoner
    Options
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If you are referring to the thin stainless steel mesh it's because that mesh won't last long at the temps lump actually burns at..
  • hizzoner
    Options
    Wasn't necessarily referring to anything in particular. I'm just thinking that maybe there is something better than the cast iron plate with holes in it. It seems like folks are always fighting keeping those holes cleared. A good thick grate of some sort might work better for breathing and letting ash fall to the bottom
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    It's not a fight.

Just need a wiggle stick and all is good. I have never had to clean out the grates on a hot and fast cook and maybe only once during a low and slow.

Build the fire right in the first place and it's not a struggle..
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I grew tired of clogs and wiggle rods. I made a grate out of expanded metal at least a year ago and have never used a wiggle rod since.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I have never had any issue with the original grate. I have never used a wiggle rod. In 1.5 years of egging at least twice per week I have had only 1 fire that was affected by clogged holes, and I am a "dump & light" guy. There is nothing wrong with the design or material of the standard grate.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You mean like this?

StainlessSteelGrate.jpg

Watch this video:

th_FirstTimeforStainlessSteelGrate.jpg

And here are front and back comparisons of the stainless grate and the BGE cast iron grate:

GrateComparisonSide2.jpg

GrateComparisonSide1.jpg

Notice the larger holes in the SS grate. It allowed larger pieces of lump to drop into the ash pit when I first started using it but I've since learned that if I rake back the old lump and load my new lump using larger pieces in the center I don't have that problem.

Also, the beveled edges work best turned down.

Hope this helps.

Spring "Slightly Tarnished" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Chicken, hows it holding up? I have been thinking that maybe elongated slots in the plate instead of holes would increase airflow and reduce lump drop. Maybe a second prototype is in order.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ever since you sent the SS grate to me I've been thinking of all the ways it might be improved upon. Those ideas even included disposable expanded wire grates to lay over the top of the SS grate.

But then I remember some of the 'cautions' thrown out by people in the know about using metals that give off toxic bi-products. So I defaulted back to the original design.

Meanwhile, I keep trying different methods of loading and refilling the lump and finally concluded that the lump size near the grate is ultimatly what determines air flow and how much unburned lump falls through to the ash pit.

So now I spread large pieces by hand when starting with a clean Egg. Then I can dump in the rest, assuming it is not a bad bag of lump to begin with.

When I am adding new lump to the old lump I make a clean hole down to the grate by pulling the old lump to the side using my LR Gridlifter. Then I add the new lump. A few large pieces in the center seems to do the trick. Then I dump in over that.

I pretty much use Royal Oak all the time (mostly because it is readily available at Walmart up the street) and I figure I might end up tossing a shoe box full of too-small lump over three or four bags. I can live with that. I never have draft problems that would require a wiggle rod.

So in a nut shell, your design is now working fine for me.

Even so, I like your idea about elongated holes. But wouldn't that add to the construction costs?

I'm sure you will eventually solve the problem forever. Inventors and Modifiers usually do.

Thanks again for letting me be part of the process.

Spiring "Testing Testing Testing" Chicken
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i made my own, its bigger in diameter and has alot more holes. works really well. i have destroyed a few castiron grates and expanded metal ones in the past, my currant grate is made of some high alloy inconel that was left over from a job i had done. the reason for the castiron is that for regular use it holds up well and is a low cost item to produce compared to other alloys. problem is that we are using the eggs at temps that were not traditionally used, we keep going hotter and hotter. :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SpecialK-MD
    Options
    So now I spread large pieces by hand when starting with a clean Egg. Then I can dump in the rest, assuming it is not a bad bag of lump to begin with.

When I am adding new lump to the old lump I make a clean hole down to the grate by pulling the old lump to the side using my LR Gridlifter. Then I add the new lump. A few large pieces in the center seems to do the trick. Then I dump in over that.

I pretty much use Royal Oak all the time (mostly because it is readily available at Walmart up the street) and I figure I might end up tossing a shoe box full of too-small lump over three or four bags. I can live with that. I never have draft problems that would require a wiggle rod.

Thanks a lot for these suggestions Spring Chicken. I think that might fix all my issues. Will try them out next few days.
  • hizzoner
    Options
    I was thinking more along the lines of grid made from 1/2" rebar
  • SpecialK-MD
    Options
    I had considered that but was scared about the metal expansion cracking the firebox
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Metal expansion and cracking the egg has happened before. A way around it for the rebar plan would be to bend all the rebars so the grate would be bowled shaped, that probably would work. Although I have to say that half inch rebar sounds like serious overkill. I am not sure what size expanded metal it is that my fire grate is made of, but it is not the largest I have seen and it as beefy today as the day I put it in the egg well over a year ago. Someone, Fishlessman I think, burned through an expanded metal grate. I dont know if I lucked out and got ahold of a piece of expanded metal that is made of the right alloy for using as a grate or what. Instead of cutting it the size of the original grate I cut it 2 inches larger and after heat and gravity took its toll it became bowl shaped. If you are interested, next time I clean out the egg I will take a pic.