Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Bone In Prime Rib for Christmas

Options
Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning All Eggers,
I am going to do my 7th cook on my Egg for Christmas, BUT I need a little help. What pound size do I need to feed three people with just a little left over. What type of prep do I need to do? (Overnite soak) Do any of you have a Drop Dead Receipe for Prime Rib other than putting it in the Egg and leave it alone. Also, what is the internal temp to get medium for Prime Rib? I realize this is alot of questions and I believe I have the answers to most of these questions, but I want to make a SPECIAL meal for Christmas for my family and include the lastest addition to my family ( Large BGE). Thanks for any help out there.
La Redneck

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,[p]I've done "Kevi's King of the Roasts" several times now and it has always turned out great...![p]prime-rib-slices.jpg[p]We usually use one grill to sear and one to roast. Get the roasting grill set up for an indirect cook with your platesetter (if you have one, or if not, firebricks) and get it stabalized. Get the second cooker going and do a high heat sear then transfer to a v-rack over a drip pan and move to the first cooker. I usually cook to about 125° - 130° internal for med-rare. If you're looking for medium, you may go a bit higher, but remember that temp is in the center of your roast. The pieces toward the outside will be cooked more so they might satisfy guests who want their beef more well done.[p]...and if you don't have two cookers, you can sear in cast iron or any heavy skillet on the stove.[p]Enjoy your cook,
    QBabe
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Stogie's Prime Rib Recipes[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LinkPhoto?GUID=785a5857-5e36-14d5-4764-2df14904445e&size=sm
    <p />QBabe,
    if you only have one egg, you can still sear in the egg. . .go ahead and let the temps go up to about 500 degrees direct. . sear the roast for about 10 minutes (if it is only 2 bone), then pull it, put your plate setter in, get temps down around 325 (that's my preference, but you can do it lower like others here), then throw it back on. . .i don't know about cooking times at lower temps, but at 325 it should take about 15-20 minutes per pound to hit medium rare. . .[p]here is the one i did last saturday, rubbed with olive oil, kosher salt and herbs de provence. . .[p]cloves of garlic stuck in/under the fatcap is real good too

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LinkPhoto?GUID=785a5857-5e36-14d5-4764-2df14904445e&size=lg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,
    whoops, forgot to set the picture to large

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Louisiana Redneck,
    I did a 10 pound boneless prime rib last night. I did not sear; I cooked indirect with platesetter/drip pan at 300* for a little over 3 hours. Excellent! Very juicy, even if I did cater to the guests more than myself by letting the internal go to 140 before pulling. Center still plenty on the medium-rare side.

• QBabe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Howdy Max. Nice looking roast! At the lower roasting temps (what I've done), it's be closer to 25-30 minutes/lb. [p]Problem with searing using only one grid is when I put my platesetter on, I usually add my wood, but if you've got that thing up in the 500° - 600° range, then put in the platesetter (and wood), all my smoking wood would be burned up rather than smoldering like at 225° - 250°. That's why I prefer the sear in a different cooker or cast iron. The cast iron also gives a more covered sear all across the face of the meat...[p]But all the above ways would work, depending on your preference...that's the beauty of prime rib and the egg! Lots of ways to try things and find out how you like it...regardless, it's the best prime rib I've ever tasted![p]Happy Holidays...
    Tonia
    :~)[p][p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    the answer to that problem (i.e. using the single egg for sear and roast) is wood chips. . .once you put the plate setter on, and lower the temps, you can feed whole handfuls of wood chips around the edges and have as much smoke as you want. . .i usually keep a bag of jack daniels chips around, and it works out great. . .

• QBabe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Maybe you've got better aim than I do, LOL! Every time I try to add chips once the 'setter is in place, all I end up doing is getting them around the edges and not on the fire that's dead center...and burning myself to boot![p]Oh, well...maybe I'm just a wuss...[p]No cookers going yet for me...timing's not quite how I'd envisioned and I'm running out of time to do those almonds today...[p]Got the sauces finishing up right now...they're just about to go into the jars and then into the canner...woo hoo![p]Later,
    Tonia
    :~)[p][p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    you give me too much credit for good aim.. . .that's why i no longer have any hair on my knuckles or forearms. . .but in all seriousness, if you have a well established fire goin, putting chips down the sides should be sufficient to get them smokin. ..you don't need to get them dead center. . .the bge ash rake works real well for getting them off the plate setter or fire ring as well. ..[p]btw. ..you're sauces sound good too. .. you should be cooking them in your eggs, not your stove, for that extra eggmagic.. .