Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal Temperature for Turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my last turkey, 22 LB, at 275 - 300 degrees. Using a Polder temp guage placed in the area of the the first thigh joint. The bird was removed when the Polder alarmed at 178 degrees. This was about half way between the recommened temp of 175-180.[p]Well! The turkey was beautiful, but so dry and tough that we had to make turkey salad (chopped real fine) to make it editable. The breast was so dry it had no flavor. I need some advice on the proper internal temperature for my Christmas turkey. This turkey will weigh less than 15 pounds.[p]Thanks

Comments

• KIPRS,
    I bet you will see a great improvement if you make sure you: 1)-purchase high quality turkey, two I use are, Honeysuckle White and Butterball; 2)- use a couple hands full of room temp butter to go under the breast skin after using you hand to separate the skin from the breast and then push it all the way back and smooth it out from the outside by mashing and rubbing it out. My turkey were getting high marks like you wouldn't believe doing this even before the BGE and now of course it is even better. I think you temp is right , one other thing is to try and varify the temp is registering right.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    KIPRS, i usually monitor the temp in the breast meat, not near the thigh. i pull the bird when the temp is 162 and let rest under tin foil. 2 tricks to help the thighs cook to the higher temp while keeping the breast temp lower 1. start your fire in the back of the egg and place the legs pointing to the back of the egg where it will be hotter. 2. place a bag of ice on the breast meat and chill this section before placing on the egg. someone mentioned this last month on the forum and it does work. after the breast meat hits 162, it starts to dry out rapidly.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it