Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New recipe idea

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried the "bacon explosion" today and liked it a lot.

However, the wife is not a big breakfast sausage fan.

We came up with an idea......bacon woven just like in the bacon explosion, but with 2lbs. of hanburger meat (instead of sausage) with colby jack or mild cheddar cheese in the middle. Then instead of BBQ sauce, using ketchup. Roll the thing up and smoke it, then slice it and put it on hamburger buns with a big slice of purple onion.

instead of a "bacon explosion" a "bacon cheeseburger roll up"

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    much less sausage in a porkgasm... pork tenderloin wrapped in sausage wrapped in bacon.. and you could always substitute sweet or hot italian .
    i do like the idea of cow wrapped in pig .. will have to give that a try
    thinking maybe meatloaf mix instead of ground cow.. anyting wrapped in bacon is good
    B)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    e22ca70d.jpg

That will work just great.... that "explosion" idea was most likely born from a smoked meatloaf with a bacon topper. Wrapping a fatty is really good using bison or wild game as the base they lack the fat found in ground pork.

After stuffing and forming your initial log, wrap in plastic and knot one end. Then twist the other and refrigerate a few hours before wrapping with the bacon.

307b2f6e.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    Options
    I've got pics from my cook......whm I can get "back in town" and get cell phone reception, I'll e-mail the pics from my phone and post them. LOL

The joys of living in the country!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Any meat + Bacon =YUMMEE!!!Cheese takes it to another level!!! B)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I like it!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    hizzoner,

Here is that link with a great how-to... I like the use of string cheese and the pickles inside. (kind of like rouladen)

Bacon Cheesburger Fatty
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hiss,
    Looks good, ;) I will try it sometime! Thats a lot of weaving! How does it cut up? Does it stay together?
    Tim