Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Eggheads! I got my first egg back in October and have cooked on it almost every night. This site is a big help. Quick question, I'm cooking a butt for some friends for a New Years party...there will be about 14 to 16 of us. What size butt should I buy, or should I just cook two small ones?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Stewbaby,
    If the pulled pork is going to be the main entree, I would think around 10# raw butt would do, also depending on the people, football players opposed to smaller appetites. If your PP is just another item along with pther things you may not need as much.....but whatever you put out will most likely get eaten...you could do 2 butts in the 5-8# range and hope for leftovers, just to be on the safe side...I believ in the past someone told me to figure 1/3# per person, that is cooked weight. You do end up with about 75% of raw weight after cooking...HTH...I`m doing 2 of them this weekend myself...OH NO..more pictures..LOL[p]Wess

• WessB,
    That's kinda what I was thinking, was more curious if two smalls would cook better and taste better that one large. Elder Ward method will be used, although this is my first "long" cook. Wish me luck![p]Great web site BTW WessB!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Stewbaby,
    i just did pulled pork for my office party yesterday, 13 people . . i had two of them in the 8 - 9 pound range. . .they were part of a pot luck with lots of other food. ...the 9 pounder went completely, and i ended up opening and pulling the second one, and sharing it with people to take home, they loved it that much. . .if i were you, i'd probably do two of them, even if there are leftovers, it will likely have been such a big hit that people will want to take some home with them. . ..

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Stewbaby,
    Thanks for the kind words...and..Good luck[p]Wess

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Stewbaby,
    I did 2 8.5 pounders for my staff of 16 and I had enough leftover for lunch the next day. If that gives you any idea on how much. My staff is college students with decent hunger pains...

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • usa doug
    Options
    Stewbaby,
    I would cook two bone-in butts. Most of the flavor is in the bark and you get more bark that way. The biggest mistake most people make is not allowing themselves enough time to achieve the target temperature for pulled pork, 190-200 degrees. Then wrap them and hold them till ready pull.[p]usa doug

• All,[p]Thanks for the help! If it's bad, there will be enough booze there so maybe nobody will notice![p]