Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flarvor/Rubs

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I am sure many of you have.....I have had many different meats seasoned in may didfferent rubs/seasonings.

As of late, I have decided to try to make my own. I am doing it, most likely out of vanity. I want mine to be the best I have had......I've failed so far.

What is the best rub you've had?

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Easy answer. So far, the Dizzy Pig rubs are the best I have ever had. Use all of them regularly!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    My fave... Red-Eye Express.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Head Country Championship Rub made in Ponca City, Ok...best there is for anything....great sauce as well.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I agree with Clark. I use DP on almost every cook. Tonight the wife and kids even had pineapple head on icecream, since she forgot to pick up a pineapple to grill.

Most used is Shakin the tree (great flavor without heat) for the family, and I've fallen for the jamaican firewalk (great flavor with heat). And raging river and tsunami spin...

Give some a try!

Richard
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Live about 50 min South of Ponca City in Okla. Their rub is good but I also prefer DP.
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    I agree wth Dp , plus one my new favs is Texas bbq rubs.
    Texas bbq is really good and you get 2 pounds a great price.
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Like the handle...wish I had thought of it...got an autographed picture of Mezzapa from back in the day....too funny
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Just guessing, maybe hizzoner is asking for our own best rub recipes in place of commercial rubs. Lots of good/great commercial rubs out there depending on location. I like a Tom Douglas Salmon rub, but would love to create an acceptable version of my own that I can make whenever I need it.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have to agree with WADoug. That’s what I got out of the question from hizzoner….
    So here are two of my favorites. Both are really good and I’m not sure I like one better than the other, but here is a very general guideline for how I use for them most often.
    The Santa Fe blend is delicious in any ground beef destined to become hamburgers, meat loaf or meatballs; a good rule of thumb is to use about 2 teaspoons of rub per pound of ground meat. It is also very good rubbed on a thick cut chop or ribs destined for the grill.
    The curry-based Spanish Town marries well with chicken, beef and pork! Rub the mixture over a boneless pork loin or under and atop the skin of chicken before grilling / roasting. It will also brighten the taste of chicken or beef stew by adding a teaspoon or two of the spice mix to onions or other vegetables being sautéed.

SANTA FE
    3 T. chili powder
    1 T. ground cumin
    1 T. celery seed
    1 T. black pepper
    2 t. garlic powder
    2 t. dried leaf oregano, crumbled
    1 t. salt

SPANISH TOWN
    2 T. prepared curry powder
    1 T. sugar
    1 t. ground black pepper
    1 T. dried leaf thyme, crumbled
    1 T. onion powder
    2 t. garlic powder
    1 t. salt
    1/2 t. ground red pepper (fine ground cayenne)
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    He was an original for sure.