Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Newbie with two primary questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I just set up my first large BGE, complete with redwood cart and wheels. Heck, my wonderful wife even got me the BGE cover and all of the needed accessories to get going. So, to the list I pose the following question: What should be the very first thing I prepare for dinner so as to justify and impress her for the sizeable investment that she made in this Christmas gift? [p]Also, it is extremely windy where I live in the Metro Denver burbs, and I am sort of concerned about launching the vinyl BGE cart cover, and would be heartbroken if the cart ever blew over, damaging the BGE. I read with interest the wind story earlier today, but was wondering if any of you could share a photo or detail about securing the vinyl cover. Bungee cords? What? [p]Thanks from a real newbie.[p]"Smilinguy"
Littleton, CO

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Smilinguy,[p]Welcome, from northern Colorado![p]So far as wind goes, I don't have my egg out in the open but under a covered porch. So far, it hasn't been a problem. It hasn't budged.[p]Ya know, for a first cook, I'd suggest steak. Look up TRex's method or even doing a simple sear and dwell has always worked well for me. See the link for TRex's method.
    [ul][li]TRex Steak Method[/ul]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Smilinguy,[p]You've got a neighbor right there in Littleton, CO (if I'm not nuts and that's the same Littleton that is now called Centenniel). If that is the same town, BlueSmoke is your neightbor...[p]Pork Tenderloin is a great thing to try as a first cook. Here's a link to one I'm partial to...[p]Welcome and shout out if you have questions,
    QBabe
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Coffee Crusted Pork Tenderloins[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Smilinguy,
    Welcome to the BGE world! My family used to live in Littleton in Columbine Knolls, I think the subdivision was. Just a wee bit off of Wadsworth and Coal Mine. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Mvc-462f.jpg
    <p />Smilinguy, my first cook was a Londom broil - eash, quick and ever SO good! Good Luck![p]S09_29_9917_43_06.jpg[p]Mvc-461f.jpg
    And the inside has never been that white again![p]Life is GOOD!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Smilinguy,[p]That was a very good post, plenty of information and humorous. My first guess is it all goes back to the problems you were having starting your fire. Based on how long it took for the BGE to heat up and the fact that the chicken was cooked better on one side, I would venture to guess it was lit, but only on one side. I don't use an electric fire starter so I can't help you with that but I do use Greenheat or Cubes and I'm able to start my fire in several places. In fact lately I've been pouring in my lump and then making an indentation about 12" in circumference in the middle by pushing some of the lump up the sides. I start the fire in 4 or 5 places in the indentation area and then manually place the pieces that are pushed up on the edge back in the middle over the places I lit. The other thing that caught my attention is you closed your BGE and waited for the fire to start. I don't know if this is kosher but I'll open the bottom vent max and leave the lid open until I'm confident the fire is going to start in all places. Once I'm confident, and the starter flames die out, I then close the lid put on the daisy wheel max open with the bottom vent still max open until the thermometer starts to get some good momentum. Then I start tweaking the vents making every effort not to overshoot my target. I find it easier to raise the temperature a degree or two then to drop it a few degrees. Hope this helps. Every time I use my BGE I learn something.[p]Marty[p]P.s. To answer your other question they tell me all Owls are horny

• LAD,[p]Sh*t, took all that time to write that response and then posed it to the wrong thread. Please excuse the above post.[p]Marty
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    QBabe,
    Printed off your recipe sounds GOOD. Sams had pork tenderlions on sale the other day, stocked up. Are the coffee grounds gritty or do you grind them to a fine powder?
    Mark

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Smilinguy,[p]Welcome to the friendliest place in town.[p]Tonia got it right, I'm in what used to be unincorporated Arapaho County till it became Centennial. My place sits right down by the Highline Canal, so most winds go right over us. Large and small Eggs just sit out where even on the snowiest day I can step out and fire 'em up.[p]As for your first question, I would fix whatever's the wife favorite. A gift like that deserves no less.[p]Ken
  • Smilinguy, I've only had my egg for a few months, so I can give you some newbie advice. Ribs are wonderful if you like them. Cook a few whole racks split in half. Use a different rub on each so you can see which is your favorite.[p]If you are a chicken guy, TNW's spatchcock chicken is really easy and looks and tastes great. You can do it with cornish hens, but it is a lot of trouble for a little meat. That said, they look superb and are real tasty.[p]I did a small brisket that was great and didn't require loads of fir building skills like an overnight cook.[p]I love the ATBs.[p]You might want to try a pork tenderloin. My first was delicious.[p]You'll love the pizza, wait till you try that.[p]Basic burgers are better.[p]Steaks? Oh my God.[p]You getting the idea? Enjoy.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Yeah, I gotta make that one of these days. It's a famous recipe.
    [ul][li]See Tonia here[/ul]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mark,[p]We grind our coffee beans normally, and I usually adjust the grind from the morning coffee grind to one a little finer, but not excessively so. I have never noticed any grit problem. Just gives the pork an excellent flavor...[p]QBabe
    :~)