Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Thanksgiving in September

Options
Roudy
Roudy Posts: 431
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my 14 year old asked her mom last week: "Why can't we smoke a turkey for dinner soon?" The obvious answer is that we can but rarely do. Time to buy a 13 pound bird and cook it Mad Max style tonight. Here's the bird at about 3 hours:

DSC_0149.jpg

Served with mashed potatoes, dressing, and corn. It was delicious. However, I am in a tryptophan coma right now. :S

Comments

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Good to see! Good looking bird!

Cdn Thanksgiving is right around the corner...we'll be ordering our turkeys next weekend and (based on last years NEW tradition) my wife will be cooking one on the weber gasser and I will be cooking mine on the egg!

Wish me luck!

Michael
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    What? You still have a gasser? :sick:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I had to look it up:
    Tryptophan is a routine constituent of most protein-based foods or dietary proteins. It is particularly plentiful in chocolate, oats, durians, mangoes, dried dates, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, red meat, eggs, fish, poultry, sesame, chickpeas, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, spirulina, and peanuts.[15] It is found in turkey at a level typical of poultry in general.[16]

Translated - he ate too much turkey.
  • RGBHV
    Options
    My wife won't giving the gasser up any time soon! God forbid she got her hands of nails dirty building a fire or something.

Although she was a trooper during NiEggara Eggfest - she helped me with all the cooks.

Michael
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Looking good, great job.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Pre Thanksgiving dinner Yum
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    What a cook you've done1!! Looks great!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    she helped me with all the cooks.
    Michael, 'help' is an understatement, in the afternoon Anke was doing all the cooking :woohoo: :P
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • RGBHV
    Options
    That's true!

I think I told you all before, she can kick my butt when it comes to cooking - I just haven't been able to get her to cook on the egg.

I think as long as I build the fire (do the dirty work), she'll do the cooks. Works for me as long as there's beer in the cooler!

Michael
  • Hotwingking
    Options
    Very nice lookin bird ,I need to do a trial bird before thanksgiving as I have yet to do one. :side:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I was available for dinner...you should have called... :lol: :silly:

Looks great John.... :P
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Don't give up the gasser! It will remain a valuable tool in the future, particularly for quick cooks. I use mine as much as I use my 2 Eggs.
  • It will be around for as long as it works.

Besides it's easy to fire up for quick cooks, it's close to my egg and it's great to store grills and stuff in.

Michael