Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib SOS

Options
BillyT
BillyT Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an 11 lb bone in prime rib to cook on the egg Friday but have never cooked one this big before. Any advice?

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    BillyT,
    Recently cooked a 17 pound,bone-in, beef rib.[p]I placed the Polder in the center & cooked it until the internal temp reached 125. It took about 4 to 5 hours. I maintained the dome temp at 225 to 250.[p]I mist everything with olive oil & apple juice every hour. I use a pint of each with every cook.[p]I wrap all my products in Film 905 & place them in a styrofoam cooler for at least 1 hour after they are removed from the grill. The temp rises about 10 degress.[p]I sliced it with my 12 inch, fluted, Wustaf. All guests & family were satisfied.[p]Good luck at each cook is different as each product. Otherwise the same team would win the competition.[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BillyT,[p]My first prime rib ever was on my egg using Stogie's recipe called "Kevi's King of the Roasts". I was pretty worried since that hunk of meat was expensive and I didn't want to mess up and ruin it, but it turned out BEAUTIFULLY![p]Here's a pic...[p]prime-rib-slices.jpg[p]If you don't have a polder or clone, get one. You don't want to be opening the egg all the time just to check your internal temp. With the design of the egg, there's no need to mist the meat to keep it moist and the more you open it, the more time you add to the cook. Good luck and have fun![p]QBabe
    :~)

[ul][li]Stogie's Prime Rib Recipes[/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    prime2.jpg
    <p />BillyT,[p]Here's how I've done mine in the past.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    TRex,
    Your a BAD dude with your own branding thingy :)
    maybe another project of Lawn Ranger huh?
    Customized Branding Irons with a mesquite Handle, C'mon Mike back to da shop !!!.......hehehehe

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Actually that would be an ideal project for the Ranger. My brander is all metal - i.e., the handle is metal too, so you have to have a heavy glove on to handle it.[p]Sounds like another job for the Lawn Ranger . . . [p]TRex
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    TRex,[p]If that isn't one of my favorite food pictures. [p]Why I'm cooking turkey when I could do one of those is beyond me.[p]
    Mick