Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What type of wood for smoking turkey legs?

Options
troutman
troutman Posts: 498
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to cook some big turkey legs today, indirect at 275 degrees dome until they reach about 180 degrees. What type of wood, if any, should I use?

Do these temps sound about right? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i use pecan pellets and a little cherry mixed in for turkey.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    85d75517.jpg

For ones I cure, or when doing a second smoke on store bought smoked ones, I go with maple or pecan. For fresh ones, I like a milder smoke like apple or apple/maple. For more color try cherry toward the end.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Troutman,

I generally use a fruitwood like apple on poultry.

In terms of your temps, I would pull the legs at 160, not 180. They'll be overcooked by that point. You really don't need to get poultry that high.

For the cooking temp, 275 will give you good smoke flavor, but might leave the skin a bit mushy. If you want to crisp up the skin, either cook at a higher temp (375-400) the whole way, or start them off at 250-275, then crank the heat after 1/2 hour or so until they are done.

Hope this helps,

-John
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like direct and high in the dome.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I use Pecan on Turkey. Have been really pleased.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I really like Cherry or Apple or a combination. Jack Daniels or Grape is also very good.

Do yourself a favor and cook and extra leg and try it at 165°.

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Pecan or presimmon. Give the bird great color as well as taste and looks are 1/4 of the meal. IMHO
  • troutman
    Options
    Thanks to all. I used apple and cherry since it turned out thats all I had today. Cooked to about 170 based on the feedback here.

Great turkey, the teen-age eating machine looked up long enough from the rampage to state that little gem.

I did chicken wings and then did a batch of pinto beans using two of the legs and thirdeye's recipe (more or less). I may actually try to post some pics as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks again.