Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey with suffing on the Egg.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm an new biggreenegg customer and am taking on my fist barbequed turkey. A couple of obvious questions.
1) Can I use stuffing in the bird or should I simply cook the stuffing in the oven? If stuffed, how much longer should the bird cook if the average is about 15 minutes per pound unstuffed at 325 degrees.
2) I saw recipes for stuffing under the skin. Can I simply stuff the bird in the traditional manner, i.e. in the bird?
3) Value of the brine process. Does it make the meat very salty or sugary? I am serving diabetics so I don't want too much sugar added.
3) How much water goes in the drip pan, i.e. 1".[p]Thanks,[p]EVC

Comments

• EVC,
    I'm going to give some of the others a break and try to answer in their place as I think I've seen them answer this before just in the last few days. Do what you want to but advice is being given about everywhere to never stuff a turkey, always cook stuffing in oven. On 2nd question just refer to #1 answer. Brining is suppose to be very helpful in making sure you end up with moist bird and will not make it salty, you should find plenty of brining info if you scan down the post for today. Take a big container separate (don't try juggling that drip pan full of water out to the egg) and filler up. Since we're on that drip pan subject you might want to pour the drippings into a container and skim off that fat, while placing the drip pan itself on an eye and put the fat and some flour back in and make your gravy with that stuff... humm...good.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    EVC,
    Us Alton Brown fans will tell you "Stuffing Is Evil", even if it does make sister Marsha cry. Stuffing is Club Med to bacteria. It makes the bird take longer which can lead to drier birds. If you don't cook the bird until the stuffing is hot enough, you risk bacteria. If you cook it until the stuffing is hot enough to kill the bacteria, you risk a drier bird. You can stuff apples, onions, carrots, cinammon, etc. into the bird to give it more flavor and do the stuffing/dressing in the oven.[p]I don't use any water in the drip pan. I use the drip pan to catch drippings. The bird should turn out plenty moist without water in the drip pan. Basically, I do the bird like I would in my oven. [p]Whatever you choose, good luck. It should be great!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz