Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Stick & Chili

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey A-Stick, last week simultaneous batches of your bro-in-law's chili were made in Colorado and Florida. The decision was unanimous: More! Couldn't find dark beer, so we used stout. That stuff is killer. Thanks for passing the recipe along.[p]Ken

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Ok, can someone please post this one again? I posted a request for some chili and saved some of the recipes, but I want to make sure I have this one...
    Thanks

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Glad to oblige. A couple notes: Between the FL batch and the CO batch, we used 6 different kinds of beans - all were delicious. Unable to find dark beer, both batches substituted Guiness Stout.[p]Ken[p]Savory Market Chili[p]Ingredients
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 onions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    4 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 pound ground beef
    3/4 pound beef sirloin, cubed
    1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
    1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
    1 cup strong brewed coffee
    2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin seeds
    1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans[p]Directions
    Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, ground beef and cubed sirloin in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.[p]Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Season with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt. Stir in 2 cans of the beans and hot chile peppers. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.[p]Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Does the "chili powder" mean the usual Chile Powder that's a mixture of spices and chiles, or is it a pure single Chili Powder?

Judy in San Diego
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]I took the recipe to mean the commercial blended stuff. One of my modifications was to substitute ground Chimayo chili for the powder. (Not caring for them, I also omitted the cumin and coriander.)[p]Ken