Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken parts for comp judges

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are opinions on what chix parts should go into the turn in box for a competition? I usually do chix thighs. They are easy and almost impossible to mess up, but, do the judges like to see others parts such as the drum and breast? Would anyone put all samples all three or keep to one part? There is a six piece requirement...would anyone put three of each and fit any extras in? This way a judge could taste the part they like better? Thanks in advance, Paul

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Paul:

As a judge I don't have a problem with different parts being in the same box, BUT that doesn't necessarily mean that I would get a piece I prefer if I was the last judge. My personal opinion would be to have all the same type of piece so that every judge at the table judges based on the same meat? Just my $0.02.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I just judged my first KCBS comp and there were some mixed drumstick/thigh boxes at my table. Both had eight pieces. I can't tell you why.... but the first four judges took thighs, meaning that the last two judges did not really get to choose between two different types of pieces.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    For Thirdeye

Hi Thirdeye, I really liked your pics of bbq, awesome.
    I have a question? What effect does the raised grid
    have on pork steaks and chicken? I own a BGE and would assume with regular grid height, direct just a lower temp? So what advantage or effect does a Raised grid Have? Also hope you update the charcoal ratings.
    All due respect to naked whiz, Most of those ratings, tests etc are over 5 years old. Would love a update.
    Thanks BullyC
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. I've always felt that cooking with a raised grate gives me a bigger window for turning, as well as more time to balance color and doneness. When cooking direct and close to the fire, things can happen pretty fast, they can also get out of hand pretty fast.

I'm not sure what you mean about me updating the charcoal ratings?? Charcoal review and rating is The Naked Whiz's bag (pardon the pun) :) Actually new brands are reviewed quite regularly on his site. The procedure and criteria he uses is so consistent that even a 5 year old review doesn't need updating unless the manufacturer makes some changes. All that said, I have noticed some updates on certain reviews.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi thirdeye

I understand about the raised grid now, that was best explanation I have heard. Know what you mean about grid
    height to charcoal. try cooking chicken direct on a weber and NOT burn some of it, your window there is so small. thanks for the tip BullyC
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I found your question on my cookin' site after I replied above, but to answer the rest of it..... I can get about 12" of distance using a Woo type spacer ring, then my regular grate, then the BGE grate extender clipped to it.

If I had to pick my favorite cooking zone I would have to say rim height.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~