Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size cast iron grid for Spider and Adj Rig?

Options
mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently received my AR/Spider combo from Tom at ceramicgrillstore (thanks Tom if you're out there - the stuff was at my door the day after I placed the order!!!!).

I'm now jonesing for a cast iron grid or two. I believe I read that the small CI grid can be placed on top of the spider to sear steaks, etc. Is that correct? Is there any benefit for a large CI grid to sit atop the adjustable rig? Maybe a medium CI grid for one of the lower levels?

Also, is there an alternative to the Thirdhand for lifting out a hot CI grid? I can't use a Thirdhand since my large is built in to a stone cook counter and there's no where to hang the Thirdhand :( . Well, let me re-phrase that ... I could use the Thirdhand to lift it out, but then I'd just have to place the grid on top of something, like a ceramic paver or something.

Thanks!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    I would stick with the stainless grid Tom sells or the standard BGE grid for the upper. The cast iron grid will slide around on top the Rig as it has no stop points and could slide off. CI is great for searing but no real advantage in a high roasting position such as on top the Rig. I'm sure you could come up with a way to make the CI work on the upper level but just can't see a reason.
    Any chance you will make the little get together in Plano?
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mojo
    Options
    Darian,
    Thanks for the reply. I saw there was something going on in Plano but unfortunately I have a previous committment. Definitely looking forward (already!) to next year's Texas Eggfest though.
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    I got the 13 inch CI to sear on top of the spider and then move up to the top of the rigs ceramic grid. no need for the 18 inch CI IMHO....have fun.
    Joe
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Mike,

DSC08817aa.jpg

You might want to check out a trivet or lid rest for Dutch oven cooking. They make a folding X style, and the one in this picture is a combination trivet, pot holder and lid rest.... but it also works good for a hot grate or CI skillet (or griddle) when it comes off the Egg.

BTW, if you get a medium or small CI grate, your ThirdHand won't work on them. But there is another tool that will.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mojo
    Options
    Lemme guess thirdeye, a ThreeFinger perhaps? ;)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    small CI fits the spider now... prior to the 2008 change in fire ring's ID, the medium CI worked. medium no longer works.

If you do more than couple steaks, I suggest you stick with the large CI on the fire ring.....provides the necessary room to get a good sear.

I'm working on a few ideas to improve steak grilling, just not there yet. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mojo
    Options
    Thanks again Tom. Love your products!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC08818bb.jpg

It sure was easy to come up with the name.... Heheee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery